Solved: Opinions on GIGABYTE GA-K8N51GMF 4 IN 1 MOBO

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ozegirl

Looking at getting a couple of new computers, wanting to find one with a MOBO that will take the 939 AMD Athlon pin, have the facility for PCI express, and some half-decent onboard graphics to get me by until I can shell out for a better graphics card.

Came across this one - does anyone have it - if so comments - good, bad, indifferent?

Any other suggestions for a MOBO that will do the same job?

ozegirl

Yes that's what I was worried about....though there are some good reviews amongst them...I was wondering if anyone on this forum had further experience or could recommend an alternative that did a similar job?

ozegirl

To Replay:

This board (Asus A8N5X) goes for around $150-$156 AUD. Then I have to buy a gfx card on top of that.

This one below goes for $135 and has onboard video:

http://www.diycomputers.com.au/product.asp?id=3780

Do you see any great disadvantage in the second board compared to the first?

Bearing in mind I just want a computer that simply works & not demanding too much from the gfx at this stage. Can upgrade that later.

ozegirl

I was posting at the same time as you Grips so have just seen your post....

I should mention that a parallel port is a bit of a priority since I still have a parallel printer I'd like to use. Didn't see a parallel port on that board, Grips.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
I'd get one thats full ATX without onboard video, and buy the cheapest PCi-e card you can find; probably a Geforce 6200 Turbo Cache card or a X300SE with HyperMemory. But thats just me.

That said the A8N-VM is a great starter board. It has the powerful Nforce4 chipset and great integrated Nvidia 6 series graphics. Its also has good 6 channel audio and 8 USB ports.

Here's a review on it: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2626&p=1

ozegirl said:
To Replay:

This board (Asus A8N5X) goes for around $150-$156 AUD. Then I have to buy a gfx card on top of that.

This one below goes for $135 and has onboard video:

http://www.diycomputers.com.au/product.asp?id=3780

Do you see any great disadvantage in the second board compared to the first?

Bearing in mind I just want a computer that simply works & not demanding too much from the gfx at this stage. Can upgrade that later.
that does look ok, I'm kind of like T6 though never liked ob gfx, its an Asus and that is a plus, it would certainly get you by.

ozegirl

Here's what I went with in the end:

AMD 64 3200 939 PIN

GIGBYTE K8NF9 BOARD

80GB WD HDD

DVD-ROM

GIGABYTE 128MB 6200 GEFORCE PCI-e

512MB DDR2 (CORSAIR)

FLOPPY DRIVE

OMNI P4 BLACK CASE X51D 500W SEE THROUGH CASE

except that the Corsair was unavailable when the order was put together and I was given a different brand that was $10 dearer, but for the same price.

A bit over original planned budget, but happy with result. For other's information, the only comment I have is that the Omni case has many vents which makes the fan noise pretty loud. Doesn't worry my son because he just turns his stereo up louder to drown it out!

Sweet. Just FYI. Your sons setup is not using DDR2 as that is not compatible with a AMD64 939. They use DDR. Just in case you end up buying another stick of ram in the future i would hate to see you go out and buy DDR2.

ozegirl

Oh thanks for that - I just put down the spec sheet I was given for the order - they did change the RAM as I said - they told me they couldn't get the Corsair - so substitued with another brand - maybe the real problem was they couldn't put in the DDR2 as you said.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online