1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opinions on GIGABYTE GA-K8N51GMF 4 IN 1 MOBO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ozegirl, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Looking at getting a couple of new computers, wanting to find one with a MOBO that will take the 939 AMD Athlon pin, have the facility for PCI express, and some half-decent onboard graphics to get me by until I can shell out for a better graphics card.

Came across this one - does anyone have it - if so comments - good, bad, indifferent?

Any other suggestions for a MOBO that will do the same job?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. replay

replay

4. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Yes that's what I was worried about....though there are some good reviews amongst them...I was wondering if anyone on this forum had further experience or could recommend an alternative that did a similar job?

5. replay

replay

6. GripS

GripS

7. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

To Replay:

This board (Asus A8N5X) goes for around $150-$156 AUD. Then I have to buy a gfx card on top of that.

This one below goes for $135 and has onboard video:

http://www.diycomputers.com.au/product.asp?id=3780

Do you see any great disadvantage in the second board compared to the first?

Bearing in mind I just want a computer that simply works & not demanding too much from the gfx at this stage. Can upgrade that later.

8. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

I was posting at the same time as you Grips so have just seen your post....

I should mention that a parallel port is a bit of a priority since I still have a parallel printer I'd like to use. Didn't see a parallel port on that board, Grips.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd get one thats full ATX without onboard video, and buy the cheapest PCi-e card you can find; probably a Geforce 6200 Turbo Cache card or a X300SE with HyperMemory. But thats just me.

That said the A8N-VM is a great starter board. It has the powerful Nforce4 chipset and great integrated Nvidia 6 series graphics. Its also has good 6 channel audio and 8 USB ports.

Here's a review on it: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2626&p=1

10. brite750

brite750

that does look ok, I'm kind of like T6 though never liked ob gfx, its an Asus and that is a plus, it would certainly get you by.

11. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the comments :)

12. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Here's what I went with in the end:

AMD 64 3200 939 PIN

GIGBYTE K8NF9 BOARD

80GB WD HDD

DVD-ROM

GIGABYTE 128MB 6200 GEFORCE PCI-e

512MB DDR2 (CORSAIR)

FLOPPY DRIVE

OMNI P4 BLACK CASE X51D 500W SEE THROUGH CASE

except that the Corsair was unavailable when the order was put together and I was given a different brand that was $10 dearer, but for the same price.

A bit over original planned budget, but happy with result. For other's information, the only comment I have is that the Omni case has many vents which makes the fan noise pretty loud. Doesn't worry my son because he just turns his stereo up louder to drown it out!

13. GripS

GripS

Sweet. Just FYI. Your sons setup is not using DDR2 as that is not compatible with a AMD64 939. They use DDR. Just in case you end up buying another stick of ram in the future i would hate to see you go out and buy DDR2.

14. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Oh thanks for that - I just put down the spec sheet I was given for the order - they did change the RAM as I said - they told me they couldn't get the Corsair - so substitued with another brand - maybe the real problem was they couldn't put in the DDR2 as you said.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice