1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opinions on this system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathblow, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Friend of mine is building a system and wants some input on things. He wants it for business, and as a lower/high-end gamer. Here's the specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4), Intel DQ965RGFEKR Motherboard W/1000 LAN, IEEE1394, RAID, and Integrated audio,

eVGA GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB Videocard

Lite-On 18X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

2GB 5300 DDR2 (2x1GB) RAM

WesternDigital 320GB SATA2 HD

Antec TruePower 550 watt dual fan power supply

Windows XP Professional SP2

Total is running about $1350.

Any comment, suggestions, red flags would be welcome.

2. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

I wouldn't suggest buying an Intel motherboard, get either Asus, Gigabyte or a motherboard using an Nvidia 680 chipset...

3. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Why wouldn't you recommend Intel?

4. brite750

brite750

other than they do not overclock, they are highly recommended for intel cpuz, not a darn thing wrong with them

5. brite750

brite750

make sure you buy ram that is on the list of qualified ram for that mb

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am just wondering why would you want something other than an intel chipset?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your parts selection look very good to me. Just be aware you need memory that runs at 1.8V to the jadec standard. Intel boards do not give you the option to adjust vdimm so you have to use the correct memory.

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

I would suggest getting DDR2 667 Ram instead of 533. It's faster, and since you're getting a burner of a CPU, the faster RAM will allow you to get the full benefit of that.

Be SURE to go to Intel's website and select RAM that is known to be compatible.

Also, the Seagate 7200.10 SATA drives have a five year warranty, and are comparable in price to the WD's.

Get a retail version of the DVD burner so that you get Nero with it.

Excellent choices. Good system.

And by the way, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Intel boards. You can't overclock them, but you don't need to overclock an E6600 system. Intel and ASUS (with Intel chipsets) are the standard in high end builds.

9. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Read the post and see "Intel motherboard". Asus and Gigabyte both supply quality Intel chipset motherboards that when combined with a C2D acheive at least 40% overclocks on stock voltages with 100% stability. Nvidia 680 chipset motherboards are more expensive and are good overclockers as well. Buy a C2D and don't overclock it, waste of money IMO.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

I don't know about that.

First rule of overclocking: don't overclock what you can't afford to lose. I don't think it's a waste to run a system at the speeds that the manufacturers determine are safe and stable. Nothing WRONG with overclocking, but it's best left to experienced techs.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This quote from your post would lead most people to think you are recommending a board with an nvidia chipset.
    Using anything other than an intel chipset for a first build is really asking for "problems" While an experienced system builder might find an nvidia chipset board fine, for a first build I would stick with a board using an intel chipset.

12. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

I'll reiterate again, I said "don't use an Intel motherboard", not "don't use an Intel chipset". I don't want to sound patronising or come across as not a very nice person, maybe you're understanding what I'm saying already and I haven't understood what you are saying.

What I was saying about the Nvidia chipset boards is that if you've got the money by all means shell out on one but the Intel chipset boards are cheaper and offer only slightly less performance.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Look at your post you recommend an nvidia chipset. This might be fine for an experienced builder, however NOT for a first timer.

14. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Why do you think using an Nvidia 680 chipset motherboard entails a user to be some sort of technological genius? Plug everything in, the BIOS will autodetect everything, will set optimized defaults and away you go :eek:

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

Are you sure the board you have listed is correct, i.e. DQ965RGFEKR. I don't find it listed at Intel.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Intel boards. I have been building with Intel processors and boards for quite a few years and have had a minimal amount of problems.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!