1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Optimal configuration for RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xfilesguy, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfilesguy

xfilesguy Thread Starter

Hi,

My desktop has the Intel DG33FB motherboard. I recently upgraded from 2 GB (2x1 GB) to 4 GB of RAM. I bought a new 2 GB RAM stick which is by a different manufacturer from the earlier ones. The new one is a Kensington product while the earlier two sticks were Transcend-made. However, all of them are rated at 800 MHz FSB.

The motherboard has four slots (four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM sockets), which are shown in groups of two in BIOS, which refers to dual channel I assume. Currently I have the two 1 GB sticks in two slots belonging to the same channel and the single, 2 GB stick in one of the other two slots. Is this the best configuration possible in terms of memory? I hope I'm not losing out on any performance because the RAM configuration is not optimal or matched properly. Hope somebody familiar with hardware stuff tell me about this.

TIA

2. BG-0

BG-0

You're not running dual channel, you must only have matched pairs in all slots and banks (=pairs of slots) for dual channel to work. That'd mean 2x1 or 2x2 or 2x2+2x1 GB or similar. Dual channel only has an overall performance effect of 0-5% though, so you're not losing pretty much anything, especially not enough to justify buying a new 2 GB stick.

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Where did you get this 0-5% figure? I assume this is average desktop use... something calculation and CPU intensive I bet rates a little different....

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can run asynchronous dual channel on many newer systems, odd number of modules can still result in a dual channel configuration. You may get slightly better performance if you swap one of the 1GB sticks with the 2GB stick, getting 2GB's per channel.

BG-0 is right, real world performance doesn't benefit all that much from dual channel, unlike memory benchmarks which do, especially in older systems. I believe the exceptions are the newest quad and six core CPU's that do benefit from dual and triple channel more significantly.

5. xfilesguy

xfilesguy Thread Starter

Thanks for your inputs.

I just checked the BIOS settings and here is what I saw -

Memory Mode: Dual Channel
    Memory Channel A Slot 0: 1024 MB
    Memory Channel A Slot 1: 1024 MB
    Memory Channel B Slot 0: Not Installed
    Memory Channel B Slot 1: 2048 MB

Doesn't this mean the configuration is ok and I am running dual channel? Triple6, I think this is what you were referring to right? Or should I still swap the 1 GB and 2 GB sticks?

BG-0, in any case I don't intend to upgrade further for now...no way I was going to buy another 2 GB stick! I am getting reasonable performance from my 2-year old system in terms of gaming (moderate to high settings) which is more than enough for me. Will upgrade massively in an year or so once I save up more dough :)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes it would appear you are running in dual channel already.

7. xfilesguy

xfilesguy Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for your replies.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!