1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Optiplex 280 SDT will PCIe graphics card fit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by masterelyt, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masterelyt

masterelyt Thread Starter

I was wondering if (because of its small case size) I would be able fit a full size PCI-Express graphics card in there. If anyone has done this before, or if you would think I need a new case before such operations, I would appreciate it if anyone has any input.

Thanks

2. BG-0

BG-0

New case. Though, front panel connectors might not work with the new case as Dells often have proprietary wires for them...

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well it has a pci-x 16 slot but I would doubt you can put a full blown card in there either and remember that has a tiny inadequate psu also, that is not replaceable with anything better either. I would bet you can use something like a 6600 or 7600 Nvidia card that doesn't use big power from a system.

4. masterelyt

Exactly how inadequate are we talking? What would the wattage be on this PSU?
    I don't know this information yet as I have ordered the system from an online warehouse and the PSU specs were not listed.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have had a few of them in the shop and they took only a 160 special psu, for which I could find no other replacement. Now these were the same model but older series.

6. masterelyt

7. BG-0

BG-0

A very crappy sort of graphics card. Radeon HD 3450 at max. Or Geforce 8400 GS. Nothing to game with, only good for HD movie watching.

8. masterelyt

Well, I don't often do gaming.. but I do on occasion and this computer that I am currently using has a GeForce 7600 GS. It seems to work fine for any sort of gaming that I need. Is the one you stated better than the 7600 GS?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

No actually the 3450 is fine but 7600 is a decent card. 8400 is a dog.

10. masterelyt

So you'd recommend the 3450 then? Keep in mind I don't do gaming this is mainly for video, except I do occasionally play a bit of Warcraft 3 lmao.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I would.

12. masterelyt

Thanks alot for the help. :)

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are welcome!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794227