1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Organizing Vinyl Albums

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dannyboyfx, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx Thread Starter

So this is kinda a longshot, but here it goes.

I am trying to organize all of my dad's old vinyl records. I know their must be some way to enter Artist-Album, and it find everything else, then export it to an spreadsheet. I have no idea where to even start with this though. I was thinking of creating a ton of .mp3 files, then typing artist-album into something like id3 tagger, have it rename the files, then have openoffice grap the info from file names. But i know an id3 tagger can rename files to song-artist-album-year, but don't know how to get spreadsheet to grab song.artist.album.year.mp3, and put that into seperate cells so that they can be sorted.

I am open for suggestions for another way to do this, and realize that this may not be the best place for the thread. If you have anything on a way for me to enter this that would be great. Also, my main machines are linux, but I do have access to a windows xp desktop if I need to do something windows specific. I can learn to do some simple programming, but do not know that much right now.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Parsing the files names would be easy. I'd suggest using a delimiter that is less likely to be in a song/artist/album name, like an @ sign or an = sign:
    song=artist=album=year.mp3

Then create a list of the names without the extension as a .csv file and import it into your spreadsheet. You should be able to specify a delimiter other than a comma.
    This Windows batch file will create a list of just the names minus the .mp3 extension. If any files do happen to have the delimiter as part of the song title/artist/album, that will be placed in a separate file so you can enter those by hand.

If you can map a drive on the Windows box to a shared folder on the Linux box, you'd only need the Windows box to run the file; the text and csv file would be created on the mapped drive, just set the path in the first three Set statements. The delimiter is specified in the 4th set statement.

Code:
    @Echo Off
    Set _Src=C:\Temp Dir\Music
    Set _ByHand=C:\Temp Dir\EnterbyHand.txt
    Set _InFile=C:\Temp Dir\AlbumList.csv
    Set _Sep==
    If Exist "%_ByHand%" Del "%_ByHand%"
    If Exist "%_InFile%" Del "%_InFile%"
    PushD "%_Src%"
    For /F "Tokens=1 Delims=" %%A In ('Dir /A-D /B *.mp3') Do (
      For /F "Tokens=1-4* Delims=%_sep%" %%I In ('Echo %%~nA') Do (
        If "%%M"=="" (
          Echo %%I%_Sep%%%J%_Sep%%%K%_Sep%%%L>>"%_InFile%"
        ) Else Echo %%~nxA>>"%_ByHand%"))
    PopD

3. letchworth

letchworth

If the same albums are available as CD- you might be in luck---- However if they are old and haven't been re-released as CDs- not much you can do but read the labels and type in the information. There are online databases for CDs- but don't know of such for vinyls.

letchworth

4. stantley

stantley

An Mp3 tag editor will do that. You enter Artist/Album and it will do an internet lookup to get the track names and numbers. I use Mp3tag with Windows, but you might want to get EasyTAG which has both a Linux and Windows version.

These tag editors can sort on any field so there's really no need to use a spreadsheet. But if you do want to use a spreadsheet you can use the tag editor to export the tag data in a delimited file and import it into a spreadsheet.

5. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx Thread Starter

So, a bunch of .mp3s being tagged is alot of work, but is working quite well. @TheOutcaste
    You are my hero. It took me a while to relearn the batch file, but now I make a bunch of files called "track.mp3". Tag them, then put them in a folder, the batch file makes an awesome CSV that open office can sort nicely. I am calling this solved. This is kinda time-consuming, but that is to be expected when trying to organize a bunch of herb albert albums.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice