1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Orville Redenbacher's Popcorn - Why are there two sets of calories shown?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hotskates, Apr 8, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Look at the picture below and tell me why there are two sets of calories listed? I just want to know how many calories I'm eating. I can see that one cup is 30 calories, but why is the other column there showing unpopped calories? And, assuming there are about 5 tbsp. of unpopped popcorn per bag, wouldn't it come out to much more than 30 calories per cup popped?

I'm so confused. Does anyone know why its broken down that way? And, am I really only getting 30 calories per cup popped?

Attached Files:

2. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

2 Tablespoons unpopped = 4.5 cups popped.

The 30 calories is for 1 cup popped.

Also, they show unpopped because some people do eat unpopped popcorn. :p

3. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Interesting...Just below the 'nutrition facts' it list the serving size as 2 tbsb, (35 grams) of unpopped. And,
    it makes about 4.5 cups popped...Does that suggest that unpopped is consumed?

4. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

And now, math.

4.5 * 30 = 135 calories per 2 tablespoons of unpopped corn, post-pop, going by the 4.5 cups = 2 tablespoons unpopped.

The reason being, I'm guessing, is besides approximations, but the unpopped kernels have more "stuff" on them, that gets generally stuck to the side of the bag during popping.

Maybe. I'm just winging that part.

5. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

I like unpopped popcorn on occaision. :p

6. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Your poor teeth :eek: You have teeth don't you JEB :confused: :D

It still doesn't add up to me.
    Wouldn't 4.5 cups @ 30 calories per cup be 135 calories? Could there really be 25 calories of residual gunk left on the sides of the bag after popped......maybe:rolleyes:

Well, I'm going to go have some popcorn! And I might even throw in a couple of M&M's............yummy!

7. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

I've still got some left! (y)

And I'd say there could be 25 calories rather easy. Especially given over four cups of popping. Plus, the 4.5 is an approximation anywho, so it could be using more accurate measurements for the two listings.

Enjoy the popcorn, and maybe M&Ms. :)

8. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Thanks........I did:)

Well then.....problem solved!!!
    I still think might be a tad unhealthy to eat unpopped popcorn.......oh well:rolleyes:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice