1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OS Installtion problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Decibel, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

HI guys,
    I just bought a new Hdd fully functional. I installed my OS window XP. Then after the quick installation somenthing must happen cuz on the blank screen a msg saying: "error loading operating appeared. i just hate when things like tha thappen..Now i do not know what to do and how to restart the entire process again. Every time a i try the msg come up...I need some help. Thanks lot guys for for your time and support..:)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you've installed a new hard drive in that computer, you need to boot from the XP CD, create a new C partition, format that new C partition in the NTFS file system(not the quick option), then install XP in C:\WINDOWS.

The entire install process will involve 2 restarts.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

thanks flavallee(y)
    Listen do i need to take out the disk b4 the 1st restart? or at any time b4 the installation is finished?
    cheers mate:)

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    When you boot from the XP CD, you will see a Press any key to boot from CD command. You need to press any key before the command disappears in 4 - 5 seconds, or else you'll need to restart the computer again.

A blue setup screen will then appear. Read each new screen carefully that appears. It tells you which key to press in order to perform a certain function. The process is very straight-forward and the XP CD does all the work.

Here is a good step-by-step pictorial guide to familiarize yourself with and follow.

During both restarts, the above command will appear. Do not press any key! The command will disappear in 4 - 5 seconds and the setup process will continue. If you make the mistake of pressing any key, the setup process will start all over again.

Don't remove the XP CD until after the second restart and the computer has settled down.

Hopefully, you already know the identity of the devices in that computer and already have the drivers for them.

5. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

Your r such a star. Thank you so much. I formatting right now almost finished. all the way not the quick one.;) I get very nervous when i need to install window so i buy new hdd and install it from scratch ihave like three hdd in my pc..Do not worry i discneected them. Thanks again.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's absolutely no need to buy a new hard drive every time you want to do a clean install of XP. Just insert the XP CD and boot from it, then delete the current partition, then create a new partition, then format it in the NTFS file system, then install XP in C:\WINDOWS.

Download and save the XP drivers for all of the devices, then burn them off to a CD-R. Once the install of XP is complete, use the CD-R to install the drivers that didn't get installed.

If the XP CD doesn't contain the SP3 upgrade and only contains the SP1 or SP2 upgrade, download and save the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade, then burn it off to a CD-R. Once the install of XP is complete, use the CD-R to install the SP3 upgrade.

Once XP has the needed drivers and the SP3 upgrade installed, go to the Windows Updates site and download and install all the important post-SP3 updates.

Once XP is completely up-to-date, then you can start installing your programs and add-ons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

I know. Nut case right?:eek: This time i did it that way, but i will copy and past everything you told me, so next time something happen, I will be prepared. I hope is ok flavallee. Besides i do not have any space left, for more HDD in my pc ;):p. Thanks a lot so much. I did all the reinstallation as you said. I am using it right now.. Yehhh.. So now i have all my data on the original one i did not repaired, plus is 1tb as well, and i can put even the other hdd there. I want to thank you so much for you help..(y) Perhaps i can even copy explore.exe. Cool.

I want to ask something, if i want to copy just my files and programs but not window which folder do i need to delete? Also my keyboard is in US English mode, i need UK's but i do not know how to switch it..Cheers f:)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Once you've done a hard drive format and fresh install of XP and have gotten XP completely up-to-date, you need to reinstall the programs and add-ons that you use. You can't simply copy them into the new install.

Your documents, music, videos, photos, favorites, etc. is a different story. I keep my personal data copied in CD-R's. If I do a format and fresh install in one of my computers, or if I buy or inherit another computer, I can copy my personal data to them from the CD-R's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

Thax trooper.(y) I will make a cd's copy, just in case. Hey is that you in the pics of the web for XP installation? Good one and cute:);)

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :) (y)

Whatever XP installation site you're referring to, I don't have any photo posted. I just have one posted here and in my high school site. :cool:

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

Well i finished high school long time ago.:p;) But i love learning. PC is one of my hobbies, i buillt my own, actually iam reading a book "How Computer Works" cuz i want to learn more in depht about the system and how it runs..I am glad i met you and ppl like you here, i love tech forums, ppl are so gifted, i always learn something cuz they know a lot.(y):) Is that you in the avatar?:)

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been self-taught since I got my very first computer with Windows 95 OSR2 in 1997. I've upgraded a lot of older desktops, but have never built one from scratch. That's an actual photo of me and my greatgrandaughter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

13. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

Congrats, she is lovely. Now you can teach her everything you know and pass on your cyber-legacy.:);) I learned to build PC cuz i wanted to put inside the best, when i see some Pc manufactured, is not always the case. If it happens the pc got a good mobo, then the memory ram are not enouh, or the ghraphic is crap etc...Now i m saving so i can buy the Asus ROG Maximus III Extreme, that is one of the best out there, it is costly tho. Asus is the best brand ever in my experience. I am sure you can build one as well especially knowing about software....Why don't you try, it can be fun, plus you can sell it and make extra bucks.(y);) You know like American Chpper that build amazing bikes, the same is with pc's. Ppl love things done with a heart and if you on the way make some money as well, even better:);)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice