1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OS on SSD, now HDD not recognized

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by IvarMM, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IvarMM

IvarMM Thread Starter

Hey everybody,
    I've been struggling with this for several weeks... so I hope someone here can help me.

I have a Dell XPS 27, with a 32GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD.
    I would like to configure this to have the OS on the HDD, and use the SSD as a Intel RST Caching device.

However, I tried to create a RAID0-volume so that the iRST-util would be able to set up a RAID array.
    I know very little about RAID arrays and how to configure them to work properly.

Only thing I know, is this:
    Whenever I boot the Windows disk with the BIOS in RAID-mode, it doesn't recognize my HDD, so I have to install the OS to the SSD. I have tried Loading Drivers from USB for the RST, but that doesn't help. In doing so, the PC fails to see the HDD even when the OS is installed without any problems. It doesn't show up in Disk Management, but it does however in Intel RST GUI. It shows my HDD, my SSD and 2 RAID0-volumes of each 30 GBs (which is strange, I think). See attachment 1.

However, when I boot the Windows DVD with BIOS in AHCI-mode, I can install to HDD (the SSD also shows up), but after installation, the SSD remains 'Unallocated space' with no pssibility to 'Accelerate' in the Intel RST Utility. That way, I feel like it remains unused. Also, when I reset the BIOS to Defaults, it turns to RAID, which makes me believe it has to be set up the first way I mentioned.

Could someone please help me with this? I have no idea how to properly configure a RAID-array and to get my system to work like it used to...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Ivar

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      128.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Welcome to Tech Support Guy

May I start by saying I am NOT an expert on RAID
    However RAID 0 works in such a way that the data is split into blocks and in simple terms half is written to one disk and half to the other.

Because both writes can take place at the same time, rather then all the data being written to one, there is or WAS before the introduction of SSD Solid State Drive a speed advantage

However there is no mirror and therefore no redundancy so there is no recovery if one of the disks fails
    or data becomes corrupt

If of course, infrequent as disk failure is these days - generally speaking - if it is 1 in 5000, then forgetting the introduction of your SSD into the equation and keeping it simple it is then 2 in 5000

IMHO you are going about this the wrong way
    You will have no noticeable speed advantage over and above the performance of the SSD alone in fact I think it will be less.

I would if it was me put the OS on the SSD and use the other drive for your data etc

I would ensure a full image of both drives existed together of course with the usual backup of the 2TB HDD

3. IvarMM

IvarMM Thread Starter

Okay, for everyone else out there with the same problem:

I fixed it, somehow.
    First, I installed my OS on the SSD in RAID mode (because the HDD wouldn't show up).
    I then downloaded and installed the Intel RST GUI, which did see my HDD, showing the RAID-array structure was bad. I then created (a second!) 29,8GB-RAID0 volume as to test whether or not the SSD was bad. But it worked.
    Then, in the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Option ROM (Ctrl+I) I deleted both RAID0-devices, and kept the BIOS set-up to boot in RAID mode. I chose to reset both drives to Non-RAID devices.

I booted the Windows 7 installation Disk and, suddenly, both my SSD and HDD showed up as Disk 0 and Disk 1 Unallocated space. I made a New partition, during which the installation automatically created a 100 MB System Reserved partition. I formatted the second (big) partition. There, I installed Windows 7.
    After numerous updates from Windows Update, I upgraded to Windows 8 from Desktop (keeping my documents, settings and apps) and installed all updates after that.

Then, I downloaded the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) and GUI from here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20110). Installed it, rebooted and opened the App Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Now finally it showed the 'Accelerate' tab, and everything pretty much went smoothly from there.

I hope anyone can benefit from all the trouble (and insight!) this has given me ;-)!

Ivar

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Thank you
    Mark the topic solved please
    The mark solved button on your post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice