1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OS partition expansion...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BG-0, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

I've read a thread after thread with instructions of this, but right now, when I need the info, I can't find any with the specific question I'm facing(and asking from you). Sorry for the inconvinience, people.
    Basically, I only made a 36 GB partition for my OS (XP). Now I want to take some of the space on E:(the other, 663 G, partition) and add it to the C: drive. Is this possible with a bit over 80 Gs of stuff on the E? Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Shrink the big one and expand the small one. That can be done probably preferably (because it is a Windows tool) with the Vista boot CD (Yes, it will work for XP) and diskpart.exe, but also with another offline partitioner.

Vista Recovery Disk ISO Image

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    SystemRescueCD
    Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic
    Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
    XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
    Partition Logic
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager
    Terabyte BootIt NG
    Acronis Disk Director
    V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
    EASEUS Partition Manager
    7Tools Partition Manager
    Spotmau Partition Genius

Make sure your partitions are in tip-top condition before using any tool. Run chkdsk /f on the drives, defragment, and run chkdsk /f again.

3. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Assistance, please. I don't know if I did what you suggested... :eek: I just have always assumed chkdsk means the Windows' integrated disk check utility.. You know, the one in the disk tools, check for errors.. Or something like that, can't remember the English name. It ran about 8 hours on the larger drive, with the complete, bad sector repair option enabled. Nothing found. Also I defragged, and got 0% fragmentation after that.

4. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Eek :eek: I took 29.3 GB (30.000.000.000 B) of space from the E: drive and from its partition. (So, there's 29.3 GB of unallocated space) Now, however, I don't know how to apply that to the C: drive... Please help. I'm using Paragon.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not use paragon [at least not for a while] however it should have an option to expand or re-size C. BTW is this a boot type CD you are using or are you doing this from within windows?

6. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

From within Windows, already solved it. Couldn't use merge, or move/resize tool, but there was this tool(funnily I missed just that button on the left side of the screen) to simply take space from the E to put it into C. Took a bit over 50 min after a reboot to add 35 G to the C + automatical chkdsking of both drives after that. Problem solved, I now have 69.7 G total size C: drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice