1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OS/win explorer freezes after start-up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pipsy17, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pipsy17

pipsy17 Thread Starter

Computer Info: Alienware 14x, win7 premium home 64bit, Intel i7-2720, intel hd3000/ nvidia 555m, 6gigs of ram.
    Problem: as noted in title my os seems to freeze perhaps it is the windows explorer that is freezing not 100% sure what is actually freezing but the latter of these two choice seem more likely to me based on the freeze seems to happen after I try to open the start menu (sorry for the run on). I have tried a clean bootup with msconfig however the os froze after I loaded a single program or at least nothing loaded after 15min of waiting aside the circle telling me something is 'loading'. In hindsight maybe I should have been more patient, I dunno. Also, during these freezes I have notice keyboard becomes unresponsive Ie ctrl+alt+delete won't work. I have tried using a system restore point but this also did not worked. I have also tired a check disc and that also yielded no results. Also, I have disabled the windows search function if that is relevant. Lastly, I have a hijackthis log and I will post if anyone thinks it is relevant. Thanks for your time.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello.
    Welcome to tech guy forum.

Which service pack?

Which brand, model & model # computer or motherboard?

When did the problem begin? date, please.

Can you relate the onset to the installation or removal of hardware or software; a W7 update perhaps [ check W7 updates; control panel > upper right, set view by to large icons > opoen Windows Update. the update history is in the upper left area.

What happens when you boot to safe mode?

What troubleshooting steps have you tried, edit: in addition to
    ?

Have you run any diagnostics?

Did you build the computer?

In addition to keyboard non response, how about the mouse? What do you do to recover? Are the mouse & / or keyboard connected by cable or wireless? if wireless, usb or 1394 or blue tooth?

end edit

edit #2: How did you run check disk?
    If from a command prompt, did you use chkdsk /r at an elevated command prompt?

end edit #2

Would you consider yourself to be a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

No offense intended: it is difficult for me to read your post. I prefer paragraphs. Again, no offense intended.

RF123

3. pipsy17

pipsy17 Thread Starter

- I am using service pack 1

- Alienware M14xR1 Motherboard

- The problem started two days ago

- In terms of the windows update the computer freezes before I can access the screen. I have been trying to accessing through control panel. I'll admit that I haven't check if I can just run it directly through run. So I can't answer this question for the moment.

- Hmmm, adobe flash player had crashed and I was downloading optional updates from windows update. After turning it on the next day was the first time it froze.

-The mouse was responsive I do have a wireless mouse and keyboards. However, at the time of the freezes I have been using the touchpad/keyboard that is built into the laptop.

-In safe boot mode everything works good. In fact safe mode with networking is the only thing that is allowing me to communicate.

- Since I am not sure as to what would entitle as diagnostic I am going to say no.

- I used check disc option in c: drive preference.

- I customized within the dell options that were given but not literally built by myself

- To ensure that I am understanding you correctly I am going to say beginner. Thanks.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please provide a product information page for the computer, if a major brand such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, Gateway, other,
    or for the motherboard.

How long after the computer has booted to Windows does it freeze?

If you have a keyboard & mouse that connect using a cable / cord, try using that. Disconnect the wireless mouse & / or keyboard.

With the computer off, disconnect everything except: mouse, keyboard, monitor, power.
    Does it freeze?

Is this a desktop or laptop?
    If a desktop, do you feel comfortable poking around inside? You would need to understand electrostatic precautions and how to avoid elecrocuting yourself.

edit:
    What is drive preference?
    end edit

edit #2:
    Memory diags can be run from the W7 repair options. Run it for at least 8 hrs, or until an error appears.

How to Run the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

Test Your Computer’s Memory Using Windows Vista Memory Diagnostic Tool
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...y-using-windows-vista-memory-diagnostic-tool/

From an elevated command prompt:
    RIGHT click "command prompt"
    left click "run as administrator
    type: cd\
    enter
    type: chkdsk /r
    enter
    type: exit
    enter
    At some point, W7 will inform you that it needs exclusvie access to the HDD & ask if you want to run chkdsk /r the next time W7 starts.
    Accpet the offer.
    Reboot
    end edit

At the Dell splash screen, you might see an option to press F8 or F12 for the boot menu. Do so. Look for diags. Run them.

I like OCCT for CPU & GPU diags. www.ocbase.com
    end edit #2

edit #3.
    Please provide the chkdsk results.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please note that I've justed edited my most recent post to this thread. :)

RF123

6. pipsy17

pipsy17 Thread Starter

-I am not sure as what would be entitled as a product information page. Would this be the service manual or owners manual? The web page to this info? Or something else? like the information given in cpu-z? or dxdiag report?. It is a dell laptop that much I can answer.

- The drive preference thing was I just showing how I got to the disc check option in the first place. Ie right click on c:\, go to preference option on the menu, then going tools tab, and then clicking on disk check. Sorry if that caused confusion.

- computer freezes regardless of whether there is external mouse or keyboard attached.

- Computer would freeze not long after start-up maybe a few min. However, I tried just letting it see if the issue would resolve itself after a half-hour. Computer was still frozen. However, I would say no longer then ten seconds before windows explorer crashes and creates a lockout.

- The memory diagnostic did not show any errors (I can grab the report if need be). The same with the cpu test I did with OCCT (same deal I can grab the chart). However, nvidia uses for a lack of a better way to describe it a fail safe to ensure it can't be stress tested (sorry for the bad explanation. Info is based on quick look on google) but ultimately I was unable to test gpu as a result. Unless you know a way around this.

- Here is the check disc results:

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is OS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 406272 file records processed. File verification completed. 500 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 140 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 477800 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 406272 file SDs/SIDs processed. Security descriptor verification completed. 35765 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 36444864 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 406256 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 76497876 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. 468190207 KB total disk space. 161539472 KB in 251748 files. 135920 KB in 35766 indexes. 4 KB in bad sectors. 523307 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 305991504 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 117047551 total allocation units on disk. 76497876 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 33 06 00 22 63 04 00 ce 38 08 00 00 00 00 00 .3.."c...8...... 2e 04 00 00 8c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

Once again thank you for your time.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

Start here, to find your product info page.
    http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector

I have a properties, but I don't have a preferences.

This
    is really difficult to read.

Did you run the mem diag for 8 hrs?

When you boot your computer, do you have / see a Dell splash screen? If so, look for, prob upper right , boot options or boot menu. Press the associated key, perhaps F12. Do you see an option for diagnostics? If so, run them all, please.

No, I do not know a work around. I do not work for nVidia.

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

RF123

9. pipsy17

pipsy17 Thread Starter

So I did the other diagnosis that is found in the boot up options and found the error s/n 5ws1mpfg this error was found in relation to the hard drive. After calling alienware support customer service unsurprisingly didn't tell me what this error actually suggested but just jumped to selling me a replacement one. Anyways, unless anyone knows what this error actually means or at least knows this error can be fixed without replacement then I would be overjoyed to hear that (pm me). However, I gotta give thanks rainforest123 for putting up with my noobish description of my problem and maybe other frustrations, heh. Anyways thanks for your time and teaching me a thing or two. Pce.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

P:
    s/n probably refers to serial #

Is your Dell product service tag 5ws1mpfg?

Replacing the hard disk drive may be the only solution

RF123

unsubscribed

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice