Solved: OS XP professional SP2, changed user name, can not logon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XP_ogon

Dear all.
I need a help I did a stupid thing.
I have OS XP professional SP2 and I changed user name (renamed) through Control Panel and since than I can not login to my computer.
I tried to reset password using Bart PE (erd cmd 2002, locksmith) but without success.
With locksmith program I managed to see the list of users and among them there is new User name that I renamed previously.
I tried to disable Windows XP login prompt through regedit using BART PE regedit, but no success.
DefaultUserName is old one (not new what I can see using locksmith).
I hope that someone can help.

Thanks

How about logging in with built in Administrator account from Safe Mode (F8 right after PC powers on)?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The SP3 upgrade was released in May 2008.

If you're still running SP2, Windows XP is extremely outdated.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you ar using welcome screen press ctrl alt delete for 5-6 times. An alternet window appears. Type in your username and password and press enter. Pat yourself. Hope it helps

You are very welcome.
As was mentioned before by flavalee, I would highly recommend updating to SP3 if you want to stick with XP for now. Also, set a strong password for built-in Administrator account, if you haven't done so yet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online