1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Other Update Files Begging To Be Deleted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CDobyns, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Building on a downstream prior posting about deleting extraneous update/install files and folders that have been "left behind" (Okay To Delete Update Files), I thought I would ask a similar question about two folders I see marked ie8 and ie8update, respectively - that are just sitting at the top level of my C:\ drive. Since these are obviously folders somehow associated with Internet Explorer 8, but which do not appear to link directly to the IE8 program, which resides in the Program Files directory - is it probably okay to delete these files/folders as well? They look to be program and registry install updates of some kind.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Move them to the recycle bin, if no problems arise in the next few weeks, you can assume they are not needed.

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

The ie8 and ie8updates folders should be inside the C:\WINDOWS folder.

Do the same folders with the same contents exist in both C: and C:\WINDOWS?

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Okay, it appears as though the Folders are in both the C:\ level and \Windows level directory. Not sure how to account for that, but where my wife and her computer are concerned - most anything is possible.

So, is "go" or "no-go" to delete these Folders, in either or both locations? I'm sensing the answer is "go".

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No, don't delete anything in the Windows folder.

6. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

I agree. Leave the ie8 and ie8updates folders in the C:\WINDOWS folder alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Okay, I'll bow to the greater and wiser judgment of the folks in the viewing audience, and put these in the untouchable column. I'm going to mark this one Solved. Thanks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889591