1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Out Look Express 5.50.4807.1700

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Money Pit, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Does anyone know why the > (Greater Than) arrows appear in received emails? I'm SURE the sender doesn't type them in. Also I'd like to know an EASY way to get rid of them in a 'received' email. Sometimes I like to print emails and those >'s are a 'pain'. :) Thanks Dave.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dave
    There are some E-Mail clients that add the Greater than charatures automatically upon send. They are a pain as you have found out.

I use this little freeware program to rid myself of them before forwarding or printing.

Click here for Stripmail

Hope that helps.

Dave

3. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    davey7549: Thanks, looks good :) I read the instructions, seems complicated. I will find out how easy it is to use as I work with it.
    BTW........... did I understand you to say these >'s are formed in the 'Senders' email? Thanks Dave.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dave
    Actually the program Stripmail is easy to use as you will find out.

As far as when > is added.... It is added by some E-Mail clients during the forward process.

Dave

5. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    davey7549: Ok I downloaded 'stripmailsfx.exe' to my desktop. I unzipped it next, but where did it go? It said it was going into my programs list, but I don't see it there? Dave.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dave
    I have never used the self-extracting version FX! I guess I would do a search-Find for Stripmail.exe

Dave

7. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    davey: I downloaded BOTH of them. The other one wouldn't install when I double clicked it on my desktop. It just opened the help file? Guess I'm missing something here. Remember I'm STILL learning this. If this program doesn't install, how does it work? I'm LOST here....... Dave.

8. Deke40

Deke40

Send this out to all your friends that use Outlook Express(Might be on others to).

If you want to get rid of the carets, you know those irritating >>> that are inserted on replies and forwards, you can do it easily by following these simple steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, Options
    2. Click the Send tab
    3. You'll see an area called "Mail sending format". Under that category,
    click the Plain Text Settings and then the HTML setting and deselect the checkbox for indenting messages on reply.

9. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Deke: That will stop MY computer from sending 'carets' ? Right? Dave. :)

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dave
    Sorry had a neighbor come over asking for some help.
    If you copy the offending E-Mail open Stripmail and click the paste button up top to paste E-Mail in and then click Do-it-all which will remove >'s and copy the completed text to clipboard so it can be pasted into the forwarding E-mail.

Dave

11. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    davey7549: THANKS. I don't have 'clipboard' installed as I never use it... but all I need to do is 'Highlight' the revised text and paste it directly to where ever I want it. works GREAT!! Thanks for the help, guys :) Dave.

12. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Follow up Question: I now have my computer set to stop sending 'carets' and I have a program to delete them from email I receive..BUT. What about those people using 'Hotmail" is there a way to set hotmail so it doesn't send out carets? Thanks Dave.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice