[SOLVED] Out of Paper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stumpor

I have an HP deskjet 842c hooked up to an new Dell computer with XP . I've installed it according to the " Wizard " and tried to print a test page but nothing happens . It does say that the page has been printed but there is nothing . A flag pops up saying " Out of Paper " . There is lottsa paper . No paper jam . Brand new ink cartridges but the printer doesn't even grunt .

Any suggestions ?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Waht kind of hook up is the printer using? Is it USB or parallel? Also you should gop to the HP site and download the latest drivers for the printer and try those.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Does the printer sound like it's trying to pull paper thru and print?

Oops, re-read, not even a grunt.....silly question, is it plugged in? Lights on????

Shut off the printer, take out the paper and the feeder, put them back in and then turn it back on.

One or both might be slightly out of position. It happens quite often.

Stumpor

I have been to the HP site and tried their driver . I actually tried them first until I realized XP already has the driver .

Parallel hook up Plugged in Top light on .

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Device manager showing the parallel port there without errors?

Also, it's going straight into the computer? Not passing thru anything else?

Stumpor

Device Manager showed ECP Printer Port LPT1

Straight to Computer from printer

Removed paper and feeder , replaced No Change

It will preview printing but not print

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Try changing the settings on the printer port to EPP. I think you can do that via the properties on the printer itself.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Sorry, try changing it there in the device manager where you saw the port.....

if someone knows how to change the port type through the device manager i'd like to know about that also - try changing it in the bios - not contradicting you Candice :eek: ;) just don't know how to do what you suggested

Stumpor

If you go into device manager tab ports you can enable plug 'n play

It didn't change anything Acacandy

Stumpor

The device manager still says ECP Printer Port LPT1

Maybe I should try the printer back on the old computer and see if it works there . Any suggestios

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online