1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2000 and the .pst file

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JannEd, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

It has been so long since I have been here! OS at the moment is Win2000Pro on a Dell G240. I just got a Mac Mini with Win XP and am in the process of transferring all my files there. The problem comes in here: I went into Outlook 2000 and deleted ALL my Inbox, Sent, misc folders, pared down my address book, dumped the trash after I did all that and my pst file is still 303mgs! Even after shutting down and rebooting. Is there some hidden stuff in there? I will be transfering it to the XP partition in the Mac Mini. I was so surprised that I could actually install Office 2000 there but it worked with no problems!! Anyone know about this? I will rar it if need be just to put it on a CD, but it isn't really necessary.

Thanks!!

Jann:confused:

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi JannEd

Looking at Outlook 2003, this would be the steps to manually compact the Personal Folders (.pst file):
    Right click the top/root folder of your Personal Folder (.pst file)
    Select: Properties for "Name of Personal Folder"
    General tab > Advanced button >Compact Now button
    Click the Compact Now button a couple of times if the file size does not reduce. Be sure to refresh the page containing the .pst file if it does not automatically refresh.​

I don't currently have Outlook 2000 installed, so if the above steps do not look familiar, looking at Outlook 97 the following steps apply:
    Tools > Services > Services tab
    Highlight Personal Folders
    Properties > Compact Now button

You can also import the Personal Folders into a new Personal Folders, but you may lose formatting and dates may change.
    Though, it couldn't hurt to try it.

I have Office 97 running on Windows XP. :)

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

It didn't compress. It looked like it was going through the motions but when it quit, it just quit. I refreshed and still no compression. I think I will just rar the file and put it in the right place in XP. I only want it for my address book and there is no .wab file so I am assuming (scary) the addy book is in the pst.

I am surprised about the programs I have loved since 98SE that have all installed in XP and are running with no problem. Changes my opinion of XP completely!!!

Will let you know how I fare with this!

Jann:)

4. EAFiedler

If you cannot find your Contacts, they may be in a .pab file.
    They newer versions of Outlook did away with the .pab file and the Contacts are kept in the .pst file.

5. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

Hmmmm Interesting. In my download file is a .wab file with only ONE contact in it, which would be the first name in my address book. Don't remember where that came from. I also have one on the CD I burned called wab.exe. No clue where I got that one either.

I looked up the .pst file on this machine, brand new Outlook 2000, and the size is 96k. Far cry from the 303mg file that is on the Dell. AND the interface in this new install on XP is different!! So, I shall experiment with the whole business today! I seem to have nothing better to do.

Jann :D

6. EAFiedler

It's possible Outlook 2000 was set to share the contacts with Outlook Express as Outlook Express uses a .wab file for its contacts.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You might try and "export" the contacts to a Excel spreadsheet and the import that on the Mac.

By the way, if one uses the true "Contacts" there is NO WAB or PAB file, as these are not really part of the pst file and are just linked to from within Outlook.

8. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

Since I have never used Outlook Express, I am confused why that would happen. I will try the export thing. My confusion comes in at the large size of the .pst. What I would like to know is how it is so big since I deleted all the mail and the extra folders and anything in there that could take up space. I cleaned out my addresses of ones I don't use any longer. And it still is 303mg. Where are all those files that are making that pst so huge? I guess if I put it in the proper place in the new Outlook, it will tell me, maybe?

Jann:confused:

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you do a Compact on the pst?

10. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

Yes I did. It didn't. The size stayed the same.

Jann

11. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

I went ahead and put the large .pst into outlook. It still says 303mg but it didn't interfere with anything else. Sure is a different interface with WinXP!! Usually my opening page on Outlook is my Inbox, now it is my Personal Folders! Never saw that before! And, I forgot to tell you, the friend that sent me this Mac Mini, sent if from Germany. Had to download a few programs that he had installed for me in English! Crazy time I have had getting this side set up. Now if I can figure out why the Mac side won't let me connect to the net, I will be in cat heaven!!!

Thanks for all the responses!!!

Jann

12. Bernardo

Bernardo

You can change the opening page in Outlook to have it open wherever you wish...oh, and cat heaven might not be a good thing :eek: for us cat lovers :D

13. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

LOL I am a HUGE cat lover and I have many, many cats waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge!! That said, how do I change it? Hold up a sec...........................well, that was fruitless. I looked everywhere to find how to change it. A little hint would tickle me to tears!!!!

Jann:D

14. EAFiedler

Try this:
    Tools > Options > General tab
    Under: Startup Settings
    Click the drop down arrow, for Startup in this folder to select the Inbox.

As I said earlier, this is for Outlook 97 as I do not have Outlook 2000 installed.

Let us know if that works or not.

15. JannEd

JannEd Thread Starter

No, there is no General tab in options, nor is there any place else that says startup settings. I even did a help! Will keep looking! Thanks;)

Jann

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice