Solved: Outlook 2000 Issues...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

schneggy

I am having some strange issues arise with Outlook 2000. I have machines running w2k pro, and are connected to a w2k server. After joining the domain, I have encountered a connection problem with Outlook. After the user logs in, Outlook is unable to connect to the POP3 mail server (hosted off site). However, if after I log in, I open up the web-browser (Firefox) first, and establish an Internet connection, then I open Outlook and I connect fine. After logging out and back in though, the issue still remains, and I have to connect to the internet first to connect to the mail server.

My feeling is that this is some kind of proxy issue with the w2k server (this same problem is occurring on all three machines in the domain). The browser is able to auto-detect the settings, while Outlook cannot, and by opening the browser first, something is configured that outlook uses...maybe????

My other thought is that could be because the default internet browser is FF, not IE, and that this causes an issue with the MS product...

Finally, I wonder if it could have anything to do with the Symantec Corporate Edition 10 Antivirus that is running. I know that Norton typically scans email by proxy, I would assume the Symantec does the same. However, I'm running the same AV on a separate machine that is not on the domain yet, and there is no problems with Outlook there, so I am doubtful that this is the case...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated....

Schneggy

schneggy

13 views and no replies, this is not looking good...

Come on people...need some help here...any ideas are welcome...

I'm at a loss, I'm trying anything...I've disabled Symantec Antivirus, removed Firefox, deleted accounts...nothing is working...I need some fresh ideas...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online