1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2000 - No email!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bobonong, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobonong

Bobonong Thread Starter

I have used Outlook 2000 for many years as my main email client.
    (Present OS: XP Home, SP2)

For some time I have been unable to SEND mail. Occasionally it does go but usually it hangs in the Outbox, eventually reporting that it can't find the server.

I had not changed my server settings but I have since tried changing them as my ISP kept changing hands - originally Freeserve, then Wanadoo and now Orange. This does not help.

But I could still RECEIVE email OK.

Then yesterday I found that I can longer receive mail either. Outlook seems to try and connect, something indiscernible flashes across the screen but no mail received - even when I know from accessing Orange Webmail that there is a stack of mail in my Inbox - mostly Spam!

I presume that it's an Oulook problem but haven't a clue as to what it might be.
    Any ideas please? Any help would be very gratefully recreived!

Thanks, Bob J

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

You might check with your ISP - a number have lately been blocking mail from port 25 (I think) in order to fight spam. If you are sending mail out under a company name, you might have to change your email settings to go out via the ISP's mail handling default.

3. Bobonong

Bobonong Thread Starter

Thanks Slurpee. I'll contact my ISP and see what they say - not much, knowing them!

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Also verify that the POP and SMTP settings have not changed as ISPs are bought by one and then another they sometimes migrate them to another address.

5. Bobonong

Bobonong Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
    By a process of elimination I have concluded that my firewall, Zone Alarm, is to blame.
    I don't know why as I have used ZA for years now, admittedly with a few problems. I had changed nothing and bar a re-install of ZA I saw no solution. So I have now installed the Comodo firewall and everything is working fine again.
    Thanks again for replying.
    Cheers, Bob J

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Weird...well, go to thread tools at the top of the page and mark this as solved, okay?
    See you around!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice