1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2003/2007 Install/Uninstall Problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by crashcarle, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crashcarle

crashcarle Thread Starter

I inadvertently installed Office XP Pro on my system thinking it was a newer version than what I had - duh. I had previously installed Office 2003 and Office 2007 Home and Student and they were working properly. After XP Pro was installed none of the newer versions would work. The XP pro versons of Excel and Word worked but Outlook would open but would not send or receive Email. I was able to uninstall XP Pro but neither the 2003 or 2007 programs will run. I cannot uninstall either of them nor can I reinstall either of them. I tried system restore with no luck. I also searched the microsoft site for help and have not found a soultion. Does anyone have any ideas? Help:confused:

2. rbalaji

rbalaji

What happens when you try to uninstall them? Have you tried a 3rd party uninstall tool like revo uninstaller?

BTW, all three versions of office will coexist perfectly peacefully on any computer if you follow some basic steps in their installation. Install them from oldest version to newest and install them in different folders. That is all it takes if you want to keep all of them for compatibility with what others have if you exchange office files with others.

3. crashcarle

Thanks.
    When I try to uninstall 2007 nothing happens at all. The system reacts to the request to uninstall then goes back to the same add/remove programs screen. No uninstal windows open.
    When I try to uninstall 2003 I get the "preparing to remove" window. After a short while I get another window that says "The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."
    I have only tried to use the add remove programs feature in control panel. Is revo unstaller a safe application? I downloaded it and ran it on Office 2007 but I'm not sure if it is safe to remove all of the leftover registery items. It found 13,184 leftover registry items and wants me to delete them.

4. dylanrelos

dylanrelos

Haven't tried that utility but those leftover registers must be remove to cleanup your registry.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is it safe? You have a non functioning computer here, safe is irrelevant. Before starting anything you need to back up whatever is important and actually the likelihood of anything fixing this is nil so I would reformat and install clean Windows. Once a registry gets frazzled like yours is, there really is little hope of fixing it and if you do, it will take far longer with a lot more guidance than a reformat would I'm afraid.

6. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

7. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

8. crashcarle

The revo uninstaller worked fine and uninstalled both versions. Thanks for all who helped me solve this.

9. rbalaji

rbalaji

You are welcome, and good luck!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice