1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2003/Exchange 2007 - "Your Version of Outlook has been blocked..."

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mantis484, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantis484

mantis484 Thread Starter

Hi,

My organisation has just rolled out an Exchange 2007 Server.
    I am a desktop support engineer for my unit. We are setting up access to the server through Outlook 2003.

A small number of Outlook 2003 users get this error message when they are using a .prf file to configure their clients.

"Your Exchange Server administrator has blocked the version of Outlook that you are using. Contact your administrator for assistance."

This is XP SP2 running Outlook 2003 (error occurs on Office, Office SP2 and Office SP3) connecting to Exchange 2007.

I have tried tried applying SP2 and SP3 to Office and completely reinstalling Office but it still occurs.

I am told by the Server Administrators that this is a local problem so I am not getting any help from them. I tend to believe them that it's not server side because I set one of the profiles up on two PCs next to eachother. On one it worked fine but on the other it had this error message. I could not see a difference in the two Outlook installations.

I have read this article here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924625 but a lot of the questions it asks and tests involve having administrator access over the server which I do not have.

Does anyone know of anything in the local Office installation that I do have control over that has been known to cause this?

All the best,

mantis484

2. mantis484

mantis484 Thread Starter

Hi we managed to find the solution so I'm posting it here to help others.

We inherited a number of builds that were done by other companies. It appears these builds have in the past had previous versions of Office installed. This has resulted in registry keys lurking around from the old installs.

Once we removed these registry entries it worked.

Best way to do this that I could think of is to

1) Uninstall Office and then search the registry for any references to Outlook. You can do this using AML Free Registry Cleaner http://www.amltools.com/ (which has a search function). Ignore any hits for Outlook Express you are only insterested in Office Outlook.

2) If this is the problem that you are having then you will find registry entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\7.0 or 8.0 or 9.0 etc.

3) Delete any Outlook folders in the above tree. Onc eof the keys in the Outlook folder will be Version and this appears to be what is being read when the server asks what version you have.

4) Reinstall Office - it should now work.

All the best,

mantis484

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice