1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2003 - how to recover Unread Email folder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mikaela, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mikaela

Mikaela Thread Starter

Hi!

I have after a bad case of clumpsy fingers deleted my much used folder in Outlook Express called Unread Email. I hope that some one can help me to create a rule for the folder when I create it again so that all my unread emails are there for easy access.

I am not great at explaning what it is I need and will happily answer your questions if you think you can help me!

Many thanks!

Mikaela

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Mikaela

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

You deleted a folder in Outlook Express and then you deleted it from the Deleted Items folder?

Are you currently using a Rule to bring all messages into the Unread Email folder?
    After you read the message, you then move the read message to another folder?

Do you need to recover the messages you deleted earlier or do you have, Leave a copy of messages on the server, enabled?

3. Mikaela

Mikaela Thread Starter

Hello EAFiedler!

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me with this issue.

I checked my deleted items, but the folder is not amongst them though I never delete any of the items that are moved to this deleted items folder.

I am guessing that there was a rule in place that guided all unread emails to this folder. The thing is that the emails were at the same time in my inbox so i had the option to either open my "Unread emails" folder or the "Inbox". The same unread messages were available in both these folders. Once I had clicked on an email in the "Unread Emails" folder and moved to the next, this email was no longer appearing in the "Unread Emails" folder. I did not have to move it physically to another folder.

I do not need to recover any emails as they also always were available in my "Inbox".

Does this make my problem clearer to you?

Kind regards,
    Mikaela

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

What operating system are you using?

The Unread Emails folder sounds like a Search folder.
    Do you see a Search Folders folder? If so, right click the folder and select: New Search Folder.

I don't know of such a folder existing in Outlook Express, there is such a folder in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.

You are using Outlook Express and not Microsoft Outlook, correct?
    Check Help > About to verify the program name.

If so, do you have another program installed such as, an anti-spam program that works with Outlook Express?
    Or a third party folder search for Outlook Express?

5. eric996

eric996

EAFiedler is right, if you are running Outlook 03 or 07 you should be able to go to the search folders, right-click and choose new search folder. It should give you the option to recreate an Unread Mail folder. If it's missing from the Favorite Folders pane at the top left, you can just drag and drop the Unread Mail folder after it has been recreated. There probably isn't a rule in place. Like EAfiedler said, it's a search folder.

6. Mikaela

Mikaela Thread Starter

Hello EAFiedler and Eric996!

Thank you so much for your help! I am very happy today to have this folder back, it makes my working day much easier to organise.

Have a great day and once again, thank you!

Kind regards,
    Mikaela

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Glad to hear it! :)

Would you mind telling us which e-mail program you are using?

8. Mikaela

Mikaela Thread Starter

Not at all, it's Microsoft Outlook now that I checked properly.

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Thank you. :)

Do you know which version, 2003 or 2007?

You can also mark this thread Solved.

10. Mikaela

Mikaela Thread Starter

I am using 2003 version.

Thank you again and I have solved the thread.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice