Solved: outlook 2003 imap to gmail problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Newmarket2

I've been running an Outlook 2003 client to my AOL mail using IMAP for quite a while.
I just tried to create a 2nd connection to my gmail account and I have been unable to establish the connection.
I was pretty careful following the gmail instructions - enabling IMAP there; and, I was also pretty careful to follow the instructions on the outlook side. But, I've gone over it and over it and can't find the problem.....

It's caused me to wonder if Outlook 2003 can manage 2 IMAP connections at the same time?

I also noticed that the AOL connection in Outlook requires specific ports for each connection (send/receive) but there was nothing about that in the gmail instructions.

I also know that I've entered smtp.aol.com incorrectly several times. But, unless I'm going blind, I entered smtp.gmail.com correctly for the address of the outgoing mail server.

Help!!!

etaf

Wayne
I also noticed that the AOL connection in Outlook requires specific ports for each connection (send/receive) but there was nothing about that in the gmail instructions.
Yes they should pick up specific ports
see here for imap settings on gmail http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - requires SSL: imap.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 993
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

Newmarket2

That worked really well - thanks etaf!

Now, if I compose a new email in outlook and click send - will it go out from BOTH email accounts?
And, if so, how do I control which mail server is doing the actual sending?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts