1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: outlook 2003 imap to gmail problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Newmarket2, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newmarket2

Newmarket2 Thread Starter

I've been running an Outlook 2003 client to my AOL mail using IMAP for quite a while.
    I just tried to create a 2nd connection to my gmail account and I have been unable to establish the connection.
    I was pretty careful following the gmail instructions - enabling IMAP there; and, I was also pretty careful to follow the instructions on the outlook side. But, I've gone over it and over it and can't find the problem.....

It's caused me to wonder if Outlook 2003 can manage 2 IMAP connections at the same time?

I also noticed that the AOL connection in Outlook requires specific ports for each connection (send/receive) but there was nothing about that in the gmail instructions.

I also know that I've entered smtp.aol.com incorrectly several times. But, unless I'm going blind, I entered smtp.gmail.com correctly for the address of the outgoing mail server.

Help!!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes they should pick up specific ports
    see here for imap settings on gmail http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799

3. Newmarket2

Newmarket2 Thread Starter

That worked really well - thanks etaf!

Now, if I compose a new email in outlook and click send - will it go out from BOTH email accounts?
    And, if so, how do I control which mail server is doing the actual sending?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice