1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OUtlook 2003: Moving autocomplete settings to a different PC

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JFresh, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

I would like to migrate my outlook 2003 autocomplete settings from one computer to another however I'm having some difficulties with this. Here's what I know and have done so far:

I have one PC made with an image and an email account with Outlook (via Exchange server)

On a newly imaged PC(same image as old one) I add in my email profile to Outlook and then paste the <username>.nk2 file over the default one.

I know that Outlook 2003 autocomplet settings are stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\
    Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\<username>.NK2

But it doesn't matter if I copy just this file or the whole Outlook folder here. Regardless of what I do my autocomplete entries are missing when I start up my Outlook account on the new PC.

All email on our computers are stored on the Exchange server but the settings, as far as I can tell, are all stored locally (things like signatures etc.)

So in conclusion, what I want to know is how to migrate the Outlook 2003 autocomplete settings from one PC to another.

Thanks!

JFresh

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

I dont know if you have this feature but if you have the full Office 2003 edition you might.

1. Click Start > All Programs
    2. Select Microsoft Office, and highlight Microsoft Office Tools.
    3. Click Save My Settings Wizard.
    4. Go through the Wizard. Dont change any settings.
    5. When complete navigate here: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\
    6. Cut and paste this file "New Settings File.OPS" to a USB or CD.
    7. Place that file (New Settings File.OPS) from the USB or CD on the computer you would like to transfer settings to in My Documents.
    8. On the computer you would like to transfer setting do this:

1. Click Start > All Programs
    2. Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard.
    3. Click the button "Restore Previous Settings To This Machine".
    4. Click Next and specify, on the new machine, where the file is that you pasted from the USB or CD.
    5. Click Finish and you're all done. :)

3. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

I tested it on my machine and it worked =). After doing a bit of research I was also able to create a batch file to make it really easy for us here to use on our users. In a few hours we're going to put it to the test on a user's account as opposed to my own but I'm confident it'll work =).

Thanks again!

JFresh

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Ahh, no problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice