Solved: Outlook 2003 - reading incoming e-mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snorkytheweasel

All of my end users - all on the same subnet of the same LAN, and all using the same Exchange 2007 server - use Outlook 2003. The problem described below only affects 1 user on the network.
  1. outgoing e-mail, no matter which format, is not affected
  2. incoming e-mail in plain text format is not affected
  3. incoming e-mail in rich text format (RTF) is not affected
  4. incoming e-mail in HTML format - from ANY source - is the problem
Incoming e-mail in HTML format - from ANY source - displays with a dark blue background and gray text (almost impossible to read).
  • It doesn't matter how the same e-mail displays, in Outlook, to the sender - when the e-mail is first created
  • It doesn't matter how the same e-mail displays, in Outlook, to any other recipient
The only variable in the above is how HTML e-mail displays in that one user's account.

In that one user's Outlook installation
  • i deleted & created that e-mail account
  • Went through every setting I could find pertaining to HTML e-mail and e-mail appearance -- no doubt I missed THE one setting that matters
For that one user's Outlook installation, I attempted
  • Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Microsoft Office 2003 --> Add/Remove Features
  • Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Microsoft Office --> 2003 Reinstall/Repair
I had to kill each process since each had taken 45 minutes to get 1/3 of the way through the process - I was using Remote Desktop, and ran out of time. My best guesses are
  • Registry settings for Outlook are FUBAR, or
  • I've overlooked a setting in Outlook
Ideas???

snorkytheweasel

My user sent the following e-mail:
I think I fixed it! I did tools, options, preferences…email options and clicked “read all standard mail in plain text’ it also said to click on the ‘info bar’ to choose “display as html” when you want to…where is the INFO BAR and when does their happy hour start?!

I replied

Congrats

click on the ‘info bar’ to choose “display as html” when you want to
WTF???

where is the INFO BAR
Damphyno

and when does their happy hour start?
Damphyno that, either

But -
In Outlook, press the F1 key
In the search bar in the right-hand pane, type "info bar" or "WTF is the info bar"

Can I go back to my nap?

And I closed the Help Desk Ticket.

BTW - I'm still open to suggestions on how to fix it the correct way

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts