1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2003 Send/receive issues

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by smlybublgirl, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smlybublgirl

smlybublgirl Thread Starter

Ok, I am having some problems with my Outlook 2003. The other day I downloaded the Windows Live Hotmail/Outlook connector. The download went fine but I noticed that after I had downloaded it I was unable to send/receive e-mails though Outlook. I removed the connector and have since been unable to send/receive e-mails through Outlook. I tried to repair all of office and even uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003 on my computer. Still, I am unable to send/receive e-mails through outlook. I can do everything else but send/receive. I am not computer saavy in the least so any help (with detailed instructions) would be most helpful for me. I work at an office so being able to access client e-mails are very important! Please help if you can!

**EDIT**
    I have tried looking though other posts and most say to go to Tools then E-mail accounts in the toolbar, however when I click on e-mail accounts I get this message:
    "The Operation failed due to a registery or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists, please reinstall."

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of Office 2003 on my computer. Nothing seems to be working.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    IF it were me, I would dump the Outlook registry. Do this:

Start-->Run and type "regedit" without the quotes, and hit enter.
    Right-click My computer in the registry editor and hit Export. Save it to your desktop. Should anything go wrong, you can double-click this file to put your registry back the way it was at the time you exported it.
    Close the registry editor.
    Now, Start-->Run and type "unregserver outlook.exe" and hit Enter. You may need to include the path to Outlook.exe. I haven't done this in a while. After you run that, run "regserver outlook.exe".

See if that helps. You may need to reconfigure Outlook.

3. smlybublgirl

When I right click "My Computer" on the registry editor "export" is not one of my options.

If it comes down to it, how would I reconfigure outlook?

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Never seen export missing or greyed out in the registry editor, even for a standard user. Make sure you're not clicking on the My Computer icon on the desktop, but the one inside of Registry editor. If you click on the file menu, you should have Import and Export right at the top -- just make sure My Computer is highlighted first.

Outlook 2003 doesn't support the /unregserver and /regserver switches but /cleanprofile looks like it might do the same thing.
    A reference for Outlook 2003 switches can be found here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010031101033.aspx

You'll need to type the path to the outlook.exe file. The standard location is below; just copy and paste that including the quotes into the start | run box (/cleanprofile is supposed to be outside the quotes)

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook.exe" /cleanprofile
    a dialog will pop up asking for you to choose the profile. If you have more than one, select the correct one, then click OK

Another option would be to do a system restore back to the point before you installed the Windows Live Hotmail/Outlook connector. To start System Restore, click Start | Run, type msconfig, then click Launch System Restore.

I don't believe the Outlook Connector creates a restore point so you'll need to choose a checkpoint from just before you installed it.

HTH

Jerry

5. Krash

Krash

6. smlybublgirl

Ok, I decided to try the System Restore. After my computer restarted itself I was unable to open Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, etc. Everytime I clicked on the icons to open the program the Windows Installer window popped up. Not sure why. I chose a restore point date that the day before I had downloaded the Connector and I never had any problems before that download.

I undid the system restore, but I am still having the same problems. I was lucky enough for the internet to finally open. However everytime I need the internet the Windows Installer pops up again and I have to wait about 5 minutes for it to install whatever it needs. It still will not let me in Microsoft Word or Outlook. I really need Word working asap.

Please does anyone know what I should do?

P.S. I tried to go the uninstall/reinstall route for Office, however when I put in the CD and hit setup.exe I get a window that pops up and says this "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application Vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

How do I verify this when it won't let me do anything?

7. Krash

Krash

Drat. Now the Office installation is damaged. It wont allow you to uninstall or repair.

Check this link.
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=651406&goto=newpost

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and remove only the relevant Office installation. Reboot and try reinstalling. I hate to say this, but the condition seems be getting worse with your computer :(

8. smlybublgirl

Eureka, Krash!!! My computer is up and running again!!! Using that Cleanup utility did wonders for my computer!!:) Now everything seems to be running smoothy, and outlook is actually letting me send/receive messages again!!

I can't believe it took all that crap to get my computer back to "normal"

Thank you for all the help!!!

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Wow, never seen System Restore actually make things worse. Looks like the problem was in a section of the registry that System Restore doesn't back up. Glad the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility did the trick.

If everything's resolved, please mark the thread solved from the Thread Tools at the top of the thread.

Jerry

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice