1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2003 Suddenly Replaced by Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by vgreen, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vgreen

vgreen Thread Starter

Hi,

I just launched my email and I've lost everything. It looks like a whole new program has launched (Outlook Express 6), whereas I used to have Outlook 2003. The only thing I can think of is I needed to find my email password to set up email on my mobile, so I went to Start/Programs, but all I could find was Outlook Express 6. Perhaps an automatic update has taken place. Anyway, I went to Tools/Accounts/double clicked on my username/Servers, but the password was blanked out. I therefore killed the program, but when I hit the email button on my keyboard to launch Outlook 2003, Outlook Express 6 launched, which has no emails at all.

The only thing I can think that has changed since yesterday is my Norton 360 Antivirus software expired today and I intend buying an update tomorrow. Perhaps there's a connection? What do you think happened, are my old emails stored somewhere, and how can I restore Outlook 2003?

V

2. mucker2010

mucker2010

When you launched Outlook express do you remember that box that came up and said something along the lines of:

"outlook express is currently not your default mail application, do you want it to be?"
    and you clicked yes without reading it properly...?:)

Well it has done exactly that. You have two email apps on your computer, one of them has to be default. when you did that you changed it to outlook express. Luckily for you it is easy to fix.

All you need to do is go into the Start menu and find Outlook 2003 and run it. It will prob be under All programs > Microsoft Office> Outlook. Run it and then you will get the same prompt as you did for outlook express about making it the default app, choose yes to this. This will now make Outlook 2003 your default email app again and fix your problem.
    Let us know if this works.

3. vgreen

vgreen Thread Starter

Thanks mucker2010. Problem solved. You're a champion.

V

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice