1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2007 gmail folder, how to move

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by drcarl, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drcarl

drcarl Thread Starter

Greetings,

Am running Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 x64. Small Solid State system drive. Large data drives.

After recovering from the dreaded recurring "Enter Network Password" hassle, I enabled IMAP (instead of POP) on my gmail account. (My Yahoo Plus account works fin with POP settings.) Now I see that in addition to my regular Inbox folder, I have a new folder called gmail, and it contains the subscribed sub-directories, or sub-folders.

It appears that the gmail folder resides on my smallish SSD on C:/USERS/MyName/<something> ... I would like to move that folder, or re-configure it if needed onto my D: drive since I know the gmail folder will grow.

I have learned that one small error in an Outlook setup can lead to DAYS of head-scratching and internet searching interspersed with too much trial-and-error (emphasis on the error), so I sure would love to learn the correct steps and do it right the first time.

I also want my mail to be displayed in my regular Inbox, not some other folder. I am running ODIR (Outlook Duplicate Items Remover) at this time so I can't really confirm that my mail from both Yahoo and gmail are arriving into the regular inbox. I dare not touch Outlook while this is running because it needs to remove perhaps 10,000 duplicates (created once I fixed the broken mail problem).

I know I am due for a good archiving session, but don't want to confuse the issues. I'm confused enough! lol?

TIA

drcarl

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

As far as I know, that's the way IMAP works. You're synchronizing with the server. You're not just downloading e-mail. You're syncing all the "folders" (labels in Gmail). Your Outlook Inbox is not the same thing as your Gmail Inbox. Every IMAP connection will display its own set of folders.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

First of all, it will be more difficult to have all mails go to the same box if you try to mix IMAP with POP (DoubleHelix' point being one reason). But it is easy to make a simple rule to have them all go where you want them.

If there are no explicit settings for moving the box to another drive, you may find that very difficult, too. If the folders are in the app's Program Files folder, you could try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it to a "Program Files" folder on your other drive. Then everything from the Program Files folder would move there (but not any application data).

(Some system folders can be moved. Look in the properties and see if a location is specified and whether it is changeable. If it is, you can move it by that method and the system will recognize the new location properly.)

4. drcarl

drcarl Thread Starter

Thanks Elvan and Double...not exactly what I wanted to hear in one way...though I like the fact that it's the truth.

It looks like I am back to figuring out how to trick Outlook 2007 into getting POP mail from gmail. I have spent days on this and after setting up a 'new' account in Outlook, the "Enter Network Password" just keeps coming back over and over again. I've had OL rebuild the "Protect" folder, I've edited out the "Protected Storage System Provider" key in the registry, I've followed other explicit online instructions, I've tried some trial and error things...and I've read of SO many that experience this pesky problem from time-to-time. I am hoping to NOT have to rebuild a new profile because I understand some data is lost.

Any help?

5. drcarl

drcarl Thread Starter

Oh My. I deleted the IMAP gmail folder(s) and re-made a gmail POP entry in Outlook. For yet another time, only this time, like several times before, I let OL automatically configure everything. It's works. *crosses fingers* hope it stays fixed.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

IMAP is so much better than POP. What is it about POP that you can't live without? It can't be just that your e-mails go into one inbox. Why do you use Outlook at all? You could use Gmail's interface, check all your accounts there, and have access to all your e-mail from any computer anywhere.

7. drcarl

drcarl Thread Starter

Double - good point. I'll think about that. I could probably come up with a few reasons to actually have the mail on my machine, like, if the internet connection is down I can still access them. That really does happen here in the Pacific Northwest, though not THAT much. Leaving copies of my mail on the servers (Yahoo and Gmail) already allows me access, too. Thanks for the reflection...

ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD - UPDATE

Still hanging-in there. Have only seen the box pop-up once. Makes me suspect that it might be a server issue. Kinda reminds me of an occasion a decade or two ago (I've been on the wb since '86). Unable to get my Yahoo mail, I worked and worked on fixing the problem. Ultimately I scraped-off my C: drive and re-installed the OS. Then I discovered that it was a Yahoo issue - LOL (now I can laugh)

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice