1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2007 hangs when switching language

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by davnon, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davnon

davnon Thread Starter

I am running WinXP Pro with Office 2007 Ultimate edition.
    Recently, my Outlook 2007 started hanging whenever I try to switch to Hebrew (possibly started after one of the automatic updates).
    My default language is English, but I need sometimes to write emails in Hebrew (Left-to-Right, of course). Outlook hangs and stops responding, regardless of the method I use to switch to Hebrew - keyboard shortcut key or using the language bar. This also happens in Outlook Safe Mode (i.e. starting outlook with run> outlook /safe). I tried repairing office from the Office 2007 installation disk but it made no difference.
    All other Office 2007 apps are working perfectly with language swithching and I have other computers with the same setup that don't have this problem. If I edit the Hebrew text in Word and then paste to a new message, it works fine.
    I am out of clues how to deal with it.:confused:
    I'll greatly appreciate any ideas and thoughts.
    -Dror

2. Sponsor

3. cdrdannya

cdrdannya

Hi,

Have you tried running a repair on MS Office 2007? Also run outlook with the /cleanrules switch.

Let me knwo how you get on.

Thanks,
    Danny

4. davnon

davnon Thread Starter

I did run already Office 2007 repair... didn't help. I tried now running outlook in safe mode and with cleanrules - still hangs when switching to Hebrew.

5. venelane

venelane

I have the same problem with Office 2007 Ultimate, but in my case it happens when I switch to Russian language from English.
    At first it used to crash only when I switch language immidiately after hitting Reply button. If I gave it a few seconds it would not crash.
    Now it crashes with or without the dealy.

6. venelane

venelane

7. davnon

davnon Thread Starter

Yes. I have confirmed (also, through googling this problem) that the culprit is Outlook Connector. However, I am not willing to give up on Outlook for my email... not even temporarily (using Hotmail through the browser is really terrible). I have tried connecting my account using pop/smtp, but it seems to behave strangely. I thought it is supposed to sync Hotmail with Outlook, but it had dumped all my inbox to Outlook and erased it from Hotmail.
    I have resorted to contacting MS Oulook Connector support team:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&ln=en-us&c1=505&gprid=6998&&st=1
    I have started a chat with a MS agent some 30-40 minutes ago. So far I have been able to describe the problem and give referenced to other similar complaints I found on the web... but have not received a specific answer yet...

8. davnon

davnon Thread Starter

(y) Kudos Microsoft! I switched from the chat support to email support. After a number of suggested solutions I finally got an encouraging email telling me there is a new release of Outlook Connector (Ver 14) and it should fix this problem. Apparently, MS had known about this for a while. I am surprised their support engineers did not admit to anyone else reporting the same problem. I wonder if MS support engineers have access to all the relevant data.
    Anyway, the problem completely vanished after I've installed OC 14 from this link:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...1-4F22-B965-DD8CD86411ED/OutlookConnector.exe
    The only drag is that it takes a very long time to completely redo the sync between Outlook and Hotmail. It took more than 2 full days. Well, I guess I am to be blamed in part since I keep a fairly large inbox (over 700 messages).
    I will now close this thread. Hope it will be helpful for someone.
    My personal learning from this incident is that one can get quite good support from Microsoft, when the problem is clearly in their field. Previously I was convinced that you can't get any free support from good old MS.
    -Dror :)

9. cdrdannya

cdrdannya

Good stuff! well done.

10. anurak

anurak

Great solution (y)(y)(y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872094