1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook 2007 SMTPauth fail/fix/fail/fix

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by zapp22, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

Gang this is an issue I am stumped on.
    At a law office, a lawyer uses Outlook [not Express] 2007 on Win XPP SP3 on a Dell laptop, docked. Recently they moved offices, but the ISP is the same [Centurylink]. The level of service is the same, and sadly his main mail account is with the ISP (n)
    Shortly after movein, his account stopped authorizing. I checked it via webmail and everything looked peachy. None of the account settings had changed. It worked one day, next day it didn't and no matter what I tried, it could never get credentialed again. So I setup a "new account" with the same settings [per their website]. It worked. I double checked all settings and they are identical to the failed one.

Fastforward: it happened again. This time, out of desperation, I uninstalled AVG as it has been known to cause this sort of problem via its email scanning function. Double checked my answer with an IT guy nearby and he agreed it was the most likely. Still, the 2nd account then would not login, so once again, I recreated the account. New one worked fine - settings identical to the other 2.

Now it has happened again with one difference: only the login/authorization to the outbound server [smtp] is blocked. Incoming Pop3 works, outgoing is blocked.
    The new protection package is AVAST Free.

The system is behind a LAN Router, tied to the DSL modem - a pretty simple rig. 2 other XPP systems in the office have mail accounts on Centurylink and they are ok.

I'm stumped.. completely whipped.:( Any clues or things to check?

thanks
    z

2. Rockn

Rockn

Some ISP's do not allow an SMTP or POP connections outside of their network. If you were using their network previously that is probably the issue.

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

I don't understand the point. It was working Tuesday, but on Wednesday SMTP failed authentication. same locale/etc

4. Rockn

Rockn

Is it possible to test the email outside of the office to make sure it isn't just the internet connection there? Century link should be able to help you trouble shoot the email issue just to make sure it is not an issue on their end. Have you tried setting up his email account on a different computer?

5. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

sure, its possible. you meant outside of the office and outside of the provider, or outside of the local office, but via same century isp?

understand what I said, however, that the account WORKS for awhile, then somehow gets a bit set somewhere in the pile such that it stops working. Recreate the account afresh, and you get it working for awhile again, then stops authenticating again. this suggested to me that something [ i blamed avg] was intercepting the authentication attempts and interjecting either data or a timing issue that caused it to go awry. or is tripping something like a malicious-threat security protocol on Century/Embarq's part that 'marks' the account [I've seen that in cases where email addees were hijacked and turned into spam bots].

one thing I'm just thinking of is that I'm not sure what the ISP is from this atty's home. if it happened to be different, say time-warner for instance, is there something that could feedback either to the century security stuff, or some sort of tagging that gets fed back to the local client that causes it to go wacky? but then, if that is the case, its not different: the home and the work arrangements did not change, except for the physical relocation [nearby however].

I do need to try turning off the avast mail scanner also - just because....

EDIT: just to be clear as possible: its a dell notebook, that is either docked at the office or docked at home. he declines to use it otherwise.

6. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

solved.
    it was an issue on centurytel's mail security stack for blocking spambots/batch outbound mail.
    needless to say they got hammered with a lot of complaints. for whatever reason, they don't promise an immediate remedy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice