Solved: Outlook 2013 frequent high CPU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raygdw

I have win 7 and Outlook 2013. I find that fairly often my system slows to a crawl. When I check Task Manager I find CPU is 100% even though I am doing virtually nothing. The main culprit seems to be Outlook. If I close Outlook the CPU usage drops down to around 10%
My anti virus is Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
Any adice greatly appreciated

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
If Kaspersky is set to scan e-mails, try disabling that feature, as a test.

raygdw

Thank you Phantom010 Just a quick question. Would that not defeat the purpose of having an anti virus? Or am i misunderstanding?

valis

also, after Phantom's suggestion, you can start outlook in safe mode. start > run > outlook.exe /safe. That will run it without any add-ons.

raygdw

Thanks Valis. Are you saying I should always run it in safe mode or just to see if it helps?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
It's a temporary test to determine if Kaspersky is responsible for the high CPU usage. Furthermore, even if the e-mails aren't scanned, your antivirus will still stop threats as they're trying to infect your computer.

First, email is a just a file. A file like any other files. Email whether you read it or not, is stored on your hard drive. Malicious files attached to an email are located on your hard drive. To an anti-virus scanner it does not matter whether the offending file arrived by email, arrived by file-sharing,, or arrived by download. It is all the same to it. Any good up-to-date anti-virus will prevent you from opening a malicious worm or virus no matter how it arrived. Until and unless you click the attachment the virus or worm will not execute.
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/

raygdw

Thank you I will do what you suggested and report back this evening

valis

just try it and see what happens. if outlook behaves, you know it's AN addon, just need to find which one.

raygdw

Phantom010. Your solution seems to have worked.
Many thanks. Much appreciated.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
You could try updating Kaspersky to the very latest version. Maybe it won't affect CPU usage?

Or, you can ask their technical support for advice.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online