1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} Outlook 98: Default file / Backup

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jrp, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrp

jrp Thread Starter

Is it possible to designate the location of the Outlook (98) default data file (e-mail, contacts, etc.). It appears to be automatically set to Windows/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook. I'd like to have the file in "My Documents." Thanks.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    jrp:

What's the point in having it in My Documents? You can't open it with anything else. Perhaps creating a shortcut to it in your My Documents folder will do?

Let me know. I can't find any REAL way to do this at home, but I haven't checked the registry yet either.

If you really want to move it, I can check that out.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Tested it.

Just MOVE the file to My Documents. When you open Outlook, it'll say, "HEY! I can't find it! Where is it!" and you tell it where it is.

Least, that's the way it worked here at home with Outlook 2000. Outlook 98 and 2K are very similar, so I suspect it'll work for you too.

4. tomlunt

tomlunt

Dreamboat -

I can't speak for jrp, but one good reason to move it is to make backups easier - assuming you backup your documents more frequently than the entire hard drive. Just a thought ...

Tommy

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ah, yes. There is that. I forget about that because I don't back up my home stuff--nothing important enuf, LOL.

6. jrp

jrp Thread Starter

You are exactly correct, this makes my back-up process simpler. Thank you, it worked fine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/54180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice