1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook contacts MAPI?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by adaircda, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adaircda

adaircda Thread Starter

I have an Outlook contacts data file which I went through the process of exporting to a jump drive. But now, when I want to use those contacts (the original ones on my computer) to send a mass email through Word, it tells me that I can't use the data because it is an MAPI file. I have no idea what this means or how to get back to being able to use those contacts "normally." It must have something to do with whatever I did when I exported them? Thanks for any help, really don't want to have to recreate the whole list!

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. What is the extension on the end of the file you are trying to use for the distribution list? Did you export the distribution list as an item or what exactly did you export? MS MAPI is wanting you to use Outlook to work with the file.

3. adaircda

adaircda Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I am trying to use the data (email addresses) in one of my Outlook Contacts Personal Folders address books, to send a mass email through the mailmerge wizard in Word. I have done this many times in the past, but now am not able to do it using the same address list. The problem began after I attempted to export this particular personal folder through the import/export drop down in "file", then making it "comma separated values," etc. I'm not really tech savvy as far as terminology, so I can just explain what I did. Any ideas?

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I am guessing that you exported it into a .pst file instead of a CSV file. The pst files are abble to be read within Outlook. If you open the PST file then you should be able to use Outlook Contacts as the data source in the Mail Merge wizard and then have it reference the pst file. You will want to first open the pst file up within Outlook by going to File>>Open>>Outlook Data File.

5. adaircda

adaircda Thread Starter

Thanks, Jim, for your response. The file is a pst file and I'm finding no difference between how it is saved/how it looks and other address books which DO work with Word. Word just keeps telling me that the address book doesn't exist (even though I'm looking right at it in Outlook!). I'm sort of at my wits end.....

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Did you open the PST file in Outlook? After you do that you can go to File >>Import and Export and export to an Excel spreadsheet which will be readable from Word. You can also link to the contacts from within Outlook but I would recommend that you create a new folder with your Outlook Contacts and move all of the items over there. Let me know if you want to use Outlook as your Data Source and I will finish giving you the steps.

7. Rockn

Rockn

You cannot point word to use a PST file and access the contacts within that file. Word is not an email client and has no capacity itself as a program to send emails. Mail merging just takes a file like a CSV file and uses the fields within that CSV (spreadsheet) to fill in the fields within your document. Are you really needing to do a mail merge or just send a single document to multiple email addresses? You are kind of mixing terminologies and techniques that do not go together.

8. adaircda

adaircda Thread Starter

I really appreciate your responses, Jim and Rockn. What is so frustrating to me is that I have done this many times before on multiple computers. I go to Word mail merge, click on email messages, when it wants you to select recipients I choose Outlook folder, and then when it brings up my Outlook folders, I select the one I've always used and here are the messages I get: MAPI folder or address book not found; and then cannot complete because of database engine errors. The folder is a pst file and the reason I prefer doing it this way is because through Word and using Outlook contacts the message (one message) is addressed to each individual, in the To box, and blindly. Plus, this has become a challenge to me now, because I can't figure out why it changed. My address book is MAPI, the folders are all pst. I guess I will just have to do the work on another computer, which I have no problems with. But darn, I just want to fix this....:eek:

9. adaircda

adaircda Thread Starter

P.S. When I exported this particular contacts folder, I definitely exported it as a CSV file. Do I maybe need to import it back somehow? But it still shows that it is a pst folder -- bear with me here, guys, I'm not that up on the lingo.....

10. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Maybe you exported as a CSV but accidently renamed the file to a .pst extension. Try changing the extension to .csv instead and see if that works. You can send individual email messages to each of them even if it is coming from Outlook, a CSV file or an Excel spreadsheet. You will just want to click the Merge to Email button and select your email field.

11. adaircda

adaircda Thread Starter

Well, I'm not sure which of the ten things I've tried, but it is now working!! I did try to import it back, so maybe it had to do with that. When I exported it as a CSV file, I didn't then see an option to save it as pst. Anyway, I do really appreciate all your help and suggestions, and I am sure I will be back at some point....

Ann

12. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    OK take care. Can you please mark the post as complete from the Mark Complete option at the top of the post?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice