1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Email to Auto-Fill Excel spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by eberlysystems, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eberlysystems

eberlysystems Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to stretch my resources and minimize some data entry, using the tools at hand. However, I've hit a bit of a wall on inspiration - looking for some ideas.

I have an Excel Spreadsheet (about 8 worksheets) that I use to log some daily activities - however, because I have a lousy memory, I like to email myself from the road with the notes for my Log. Then, when I return to the office, I either re-type (or copy/paste) my email notes into the appropriate sections of my log file.

What I'd LIKE to do is create a form and rule in Outlook that would auto-fill my Excel worksheets based on the text of my email. I'm not worried about Triggers (the rules setup on that end is simple enough for me), I'm more looking for the best way to have Outlook interact with Excel in this way.

I send emails from the road on my Android phone.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

This can easily be done. Can you go ahead and create the Outlook form and post a sample Excel workbook along with the form?

Rollin

3. eberlysystems

Thanks for the help.

After trying a few things, I converted to an HTML form (on my website).

The HTML form will send an email with the following text (this is a sample)

-------------------------------------
    Client Name

Date

Start Time

End Time

Description
    -------------------------------------

Obviously, these values need to be automatically populated into my Excel file - the Client Name needs to point to the correct Worksheet in the file, and then the rest of the fields should auto-fill the first available line in the Service Log section.

Any ideas?

FYI, I also need to print a copy of the email as it's received, but that is easy enough to do through Outlook.

Attached Files:

4. eberlysystems

Anyone have any helpful ideas?

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

What version of Outlook are you using? If you have 2002 or newer you can use a rule to call a VBA macro stored inside Outlook. This will make the task much easier.

Rollin

6. eberlysystems

Thanks - actually just finished it this morning (and forgot to close the thread).

That's exactly what I did.

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

If you don't mind posting your solution we would appreciate it. This is mainly so that others can benefit from it in the future and we might also be able to provide some coding shortcuts.

Rollin

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice