1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook.exe Error

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AizA, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Thank you for reviewing this post.

I am working with an XP machine running Outlook 2003. The application runs fine. Everything sends and receives perfectly.

When I exit Outlook, I get an error Outlook.exe application error, memory cannot be read. It gives a 0x0???????? error .. I have loked up the error code on Google and found no hits, so I did not write down the whole error code.

While researching this online I found several possible answers ranging from removing IE toolbars to closing things in MSCONFIG to performing all Office updates. I tried everything I found .. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook.

I honestly belive this error is outside of Outlook itself .. as if something is grabbing a hold of my PST or something and causing an error.

So I am here asking the nimiety of users in Tech Guy for help. Any sugestions are welcome ... short of reformat. I KNOW I can do THAT ....that is the easy answer ...

Oh .. I have also run Malwarebytes scan and nothing is found. This machine has Norton 360 as well, but this problem predates the Norton install. I have NO indications of any type of infection.

I am grateful for any and all suggestions and appreciate the time you'll take providing them.

Wishing you all health and success,

Don Winfield
    AizA
    Tucson, AZ
    [email protected]

2. NedLud

NedLud

Hi Don,
    I'd suggest you first check event viewer, where you may find more fruitful error codes.

While you're reading all that fun stuff, you can try a repair install of Office 2003 (not just the Outlook component) -- this might repair some of outlook's dependencies that are corrupt.

Another thing that comes to mind is that your pst itself is bad. Check here for some repair instructions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010563001033.aspx

Good luck!

3. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Excellent suggestions. Thank you. I did the repair function for Outlook, but not for Office as a whole. I will do that!

What should I do with what I find in the Event Viewer? Post the results here?? Coz I sure as heck would not understand them! LOLOL :)

Also I will archive the present PST and create a new one, per your suggestion.

I am grateful for your time. THANK YOU!!!

Don in Tucson
    AizA

4. NedLud

NedLud

Don't thank me 'till it works!! lol

If the repair install and/or pst repair don't work, then definitely post the eventvwr message(s) here. You can copy/paste the description, but include the Source, Category and Event ID as well.

Cheers!

5. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Will do .... won't get back to this machine until Monday ... will post further results then.
    Enjoy your weekend!

Don

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

7. thunderbirdiii

thunderbirdiii

Hi AizA,
    I am sure this is due to some file corruption. It is not necessary the file of outlook should currupt. Possible a file from outside currupted.
    What is the last day of you system restore point? Do you have any restore point before this error start?
    If so, restore the system to that point. All problem will be solved.

This is also a possible cause.

8. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

EA and Thunder --

Excellent suggestions, thank you .. and thank you for the profile link. It had occured to me about the profile, but I could not remember how to delete one and create another. Thanks for the link!

And, overall, there is little doubt that it is a corrupted file somewhere ... I will follow these suggestions (and any more I get) and get back with this thread with the results.

I am gathering these and will try them the day after tomorrow when I see this machine again.

You guys are awesome and I thank each of you for your assistance.

Don in Tucson
    AizA

9. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

OK .... I ran scanpst.exe. It found and fixed errors. but did not solve problem.

I changed profiles ... did not delete old one, just added a new one ... and that did not change the problem.

So I have a copy of the event viewer. I cannot upload the file as this site will not let me. It is an EVT file. How would you prefer I get the event log info to you for your perusal?

Should I screen shot the event itself??

I appreciate your help and wish to make it as easy as possible to continue getting it.

Thank you all very much.

Don in Tucson
    AizA

10. NedLud

NedLud

Howdy AizA,

Did you try a repair install of Office? Might fix some bugs in Outlook itself, rather than the ones found in the pst.

For the eventvwr, we'd need to see the relevant error message(s) themselves -- open the error message, copy/paste the description and give us the event ID. The evt is the whole log -- a little too much info. Or you can post a screenshot of the error message too.

Cheers.

11. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

I did not try a reapir install of office ..... my bad.

Here is what I show for an error message .. at least I hope this is the one in question ....

Does this make sense to YOU???? :):):) It is like ancient sanskrit to me! LOLOL I might be a comp technician ... but I ain't no programmer! :):)

You are SO kind to continue helping ... Thank You So Much!!!!
    --If this is not the correct error, I can send the others.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-08-25T22:41:42.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3917</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>C:\Users\Don\Desktop\Event log.evt</Channel>
    <Computer>EVENTS</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
    <Data>11.0.8217.0</Data>
    <Data>hungapp</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Binary>4170706C69636174696F6E2048616E6720204F55544C4F4F4B2E4558452031312E302E383231372E3020696E2068756E6761707020302E302E302E30206174206F6666736574203030303030303030</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Don in Tucson
    AizA

12. NedLud

NedLud

Lovely -- one of those useful MS error messages. Nothing but zero's.
    [sidenote: ever see the MS error message "The operation completed successfully?]

The 1002 event ID tho, with a little googling, seems to indicate that outlook is looking for a network account -- i.e. an exchange server, or a pst on a network share.

Is this machine part of a domain? or is the pst local? Given you only get the error on close, it would seem that outlook is trying to write the pst to a remote location....

Food for thought, or something like that....

13. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Excellent read! This computer is part of a LAN but the PST is local to the machine.

So if Outlook IS looking for a network PST, what should I do to stop it from doing so?

Thank you.

Don in Tucson
    AizA

14. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Where is the the current .pst file located? On the same hard drive as the program or on another hard drive?

When you created a new Profile with a new .pst file and opened the new Profile, did Outlook 2003 give the same error when it was shut down?
    This would be best tested without opening the original .pst file in the new Profile.
    Cancel out of any prompts to import or upgrade from the previous Profile or any other e-mail application.

15. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

PST is located in normal place on local C drive ... you know, dox/user/local set/app data/ms/outlook ....

Yes, it gave me the same error when I shut down after creating a new profiile.

I did, however, migrate all the data over .... I think I see where you are going with this ... migrating emails also migrates settings .. so I probably just duplicated whatever it is. I will get by that office tomorrow morning and re-create a new profile without migration.

I will get back with this forum after that.

Again, my thanks.

Don in Tucson
    AizA

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice