1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Outlook Express 5 import to Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by grahowler, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grahowler

grahowler Thread Starter

Hey Folks

I am trying to import OE5 .dbx files from a Win2k machine to a completely different machine (Win2003) with OE6. Everytime I try to import the DBX files I get an error message stating:

"No messges can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open..."

The thing is I have even tried copying the DBX files from the old machine to the new machine and importing them from a directory on the new machine. I stil get the same message!

Another strange thing is the impor facility on OE6 does not provic an option import OE5 files, only OE4 & OE6.

I've already imported my mail accounts and address book, just not my messages.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thx in advance.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Grahowler
    Transferring of OE DBX files is a rather complex process due to the proprietary nature of the file itself. Here are the detailed instructions on cloning the DBX files from one machine to another.

Follow the instructions carefully and all will work as planned.

OE Cloning Instructions

Let us know how it turns out.

Dave

3. grahowler

grahowler Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Dave... will do!

4. grahowler

grahowler Thread Starter

Got it!

I didn't end up needing to follow the guide, although it did help a lot, thanks again Dave. I already had my .IAF files and my .WAB files imported successfully, it was just that OE6 did not have an import option for OE5, just OE4 & OE6. I was trying to use the OE4 import and needed to use the OE6 import option. As soon as I did that it worked no probs.

Cheers

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

grahowler
    Well all is wells that ends well!:D :D

Will consider matter solved!

Take Care

Dave

6. Peter Shavel

Peter Shavel

Each of OE DBX file has a name identical to a name of subdirectory which you see in the Local Folders OE directory.
    If the structure of the Local Folders OE5 directory rather simple, import of files OE5 in OE6 is possible to simplify.

Before the installation OE6 you keep all existing in a user profile Identity with OE5 directory and the WAB-file in other place of the disk (is possible in zip files).

After installation OE6 at any moment create indispensable quantity Identity and then for each new created Identity in the File-Folder-New menu of OE6 create in Local Folders OE6 subdirectories with the same names, which one were in OE5.

After restart OE6, simply replace OE6 DBX files on appropriate OE5 DBX files for each of Identity OE6. Make too with the WAB-files.

After the next restart OE6 it should work. Besides, the installation OE6 over OE5 is work correctly.:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/142638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice