1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express 6 mail coming into wrong mail box

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by beaglehound, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beaglehound

beaglehound Thread Starter

Hi friends~

I'm about ready to pack Outlook Express 6 in and send it to the graveyard. I thought I'd get some help here first.

The strangest thing has been happening. My wife and I each have an account (identity) on the same computer using Outlook Express. I'm starting to get her email in my inbox. I even sent her an email and sure enough it went to my address instead. I right clicked the message I sent to her and then clicked properties/details. The path clearly shows it was destined to her account, yet I'm getting her mail.
    -I've done a google search and scoured Microsoft's website. I can't find a single reference to this problem.
    -I've called my ISP and they said Outlook Express is malfunctioning but could not be more specific. They said it needs to be repaired and told me to go to the Add/Remove file , highlight Outlook Express and click add/remove. I tried that and it asked me if I was sure I wanted to remove the program. I got nervous and cancelled the procedure because I didn't see anything about "repairing" Outlook Express. I thought I was going to end up removing it completely. I'd like to avoid having to re-install it.
    -I went into Tools/accounts/properties to see if something was amiss. The configurations appear correct.

Has anyone experienced this and/or have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Beagle

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Have asked for you to be removed to the Email forum where you will get a better response .....

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi beaglehound

Is your wife's account also set up in your Identity?

If so,

Tools > Accounts > Account Name > Properties > General tab
    remove the checkmark for Include this account when receiving email or synchronizing
    Apply, OK, to save and close.

Or, you can just remove her account from your Identity.
    Tools > Accounts > Account Name > Remove

Let us know if that works or if I am completely off the mark ;)

4. beaglehound

EAFiedler~

When I set up my account it is under one username with a password. My wife can't access my account without the password. Like wise a separate account was set up for her with a completely different user name. If I did not log off for example, and my wife wanted to open her email she would have to click file in upper left and then click "Switch Identity" and then click her identity followed by entering her own password. So I'd have to say that we have totally separate identities that should be functioning independently.

5. sekirt

sekirt

What OS?

OE is part of Internet Explorer package. So in add/remove, you would click on Microsoft Internet Explorer and it should offer a repair option. For XP see this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

sekirt

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Yes, the Identities should be functioning properly/independently.

Which would make me suspicious that her account, not only exists in her Identity but, also exists within your Identity.
    Since authentication, user name and password are required to poll for messages.

Would you be so kind as to verify that the only mail accounts that exist within your Identity are yours and none of them have your wife's account name and password instead?

If her account information absolutely does not exist within your Identity then we can look at other areas.

7. beaglehound

EAFiedler~

Email coming your way. Please check your box. Re: OE problem. You may have solved it for me.

Beagle

8. beaglehound

SUCCESS!...I hope! EAFiedler, message received in my wife's box appropriately.

You were right my friend. After clicking:

Tools>Accounts

Both my wife's account and my account were there. But then I saw that many times and it looked the same as before my puter crashed. Mine was the default account. I phoned my ISP and they instructed me to delete my wife's account from that location. It worked. What probably happened is when the accounts were set up before my puter crashed, they were set up in such a way that they still worked independently even though you could see both account names in the same window. I'm almost certain of that. This time around after re-installing Win98 and Outlook Express they must have somehow been set up where they could not occupy the same account box. I had already spoken to my ISP and was told, by someone obviously not experienced, that OE was "broken" and needed to be repaired or re-installed. No mention of simply deleting my wife's account. But after your persistence I called the ISP again and voila! Many thanks for your help.

sekirt~ thanks for your interest.

beagle (is happy again :))

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Glad to hear it!

I am persistent aren't I? <evil grin>

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice