1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: outlook express 6 reply and forward

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Tilleysmum, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tilleysmum

Tilleysmum Thread Starter

I'm using outlook express 6 with windows xp. I have 3 email accounts, but only use one of them to send, and this is the main one that emails come in on. When I 'create' an email it uses the account I want, but when I 'reply' or 'forward' it picks the first one alphabetically in the 'from' box at the top of the email, no matter which address the email was sent to. I want to use the the second alphabetical one. How can I set it to always use that particular account?

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Make that account the default account.

OE->Tools->Accounts.
    Highlight the account in question, a button should now be
    "clickable" on the right...Set As Default

3. Tilleysmum

It is the default account. I can't see why it would 'create' a new email with the address I want, but not 'reply' and 'forward'.

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Actually, it should reply or forward to whichever address was used
    to send it to you. Did it used to work and it recently broke?

Since it is already the default, try this work around, might work.
    OE->Tools->Accounts->Properties->General Tab->where it says
    Mail Account.

Put a number in front of whatever you named each of the three
    accounts. Use a "1" for the main account. Then pick a 2nd and
    3rd choice. That should make the alphabetical order put your
    main account on top.

5. Tilleysmum

Now why didn't I think of that?

Sadly, it didn't work, even if I put numbers or A and Z, it still picks the wrong address for reply and forward. So, could it be something to do with the server? I have 3 accounts with virgin.net. I want to get rid of the first one, but because I opened the account with it I can't get rid of it with virgin. I tried to open a new account, but because I already have the new email address that I want, it won't let me open a new account with that address. Virgin customer services are no help at all. I've asked twice to change the account name (it's all because my surname has changed), but they won't help me! Virgin also won't let the new email address become the main or default account in the 'my account' bit of their website.

Yes, reply and forward used to use the address that the email was sent to. Then I added a 3rd address to my account a few weeks ago and that's when it started going wrong. The third address happens to be 3rd alphabetically.

I've tried unticking the box that says include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing, but that stops all mail coming in - presumably because that is the main account as far as virgin are concerned. All emails still get into virgin webmail.

I've obviously upset something somewhere, but I don't know what it is!!

6. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

I actually do have 3 accounts as well - however, I am using Vista
    and it is Windows Mail instead of OE. Both clients function the
    same for adding accounts, far as I know.

I have gone through changing my default account to all possible
    variations and it functions correctly. A new email opens the default
    account. Reply and Forward each use the address the email was
    sent to.

I have no way to duplicate the problem that you have and can only
    offer some ideas. Maybe someone else will jump in here as well.

1) Since it used to function, try removing that third account, close OE
    and reopen. See if it functions correctly again. If it does not work
    like it should, try system restore back before you added the 3rd account.

Then try adding the 3rd account again. Close OE and reopen to make
    sure it "takes." If it still refuses to work correctly, then at least you
    know for sure it is the 3rd account.

2) You can put each account into it's own identity. That means that
    you would have 3 inboxes, etc. - each identity with its own.
    File->Add new identity. Here are detailed instructions:
    New Identity

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

As far as I know, that's built right into the program and there isn't a Reply From option to change it, just the drop down selection.
    If it's controlled from the Registry, It may function properly in a New Identity, but I'm not sure as I can't duplicate it either.
    Only thing I could add to VistaRookie's suggestions would be to Export your Accounts to IAF files and cancel out of the Account Wizard if setting up a New Identity. Then Import the Accounts into the New Identity. That will eliminate mistakes in setting up the accounts, as long as they function properly (send and receive) in the current Identity.

T.

8. Tilleysmum

Wow, that's slightly over my head!

But, a strange thing has happened. I was going through the account properties yesterday as suggested by vistarookie, and I must have done something! From about lunchtime, it started replying and forwarding to the address that the email was sent to. If I go to older emails it still uses the wrong account, but I must have done something yesterday either to jolt it or reset it or something else. I didn't save any changes that I made, so I have no idea what's different, but it seems to be working. Thank you so much for your help, hopefully it's sorted now!

9. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Hope it sticks. Glad it works!
    You can mark your thread solved - right above your 1st post.
    (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/765944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice