1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express 6 won't receive

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by billjw, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billjw

billjw Thread Starter

PC Desktop Windows XP using Outlook Express 6. Outlook opens okay but when it tries to receive, it has one message that it has received half of and then the receive locks and this ERROR appears:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR problem retrieving message.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Is there a way I can delete this half received message. I tried to go to Explorer and find the .tmp file and delete it, but it won't let me.
    I like using Outlook Express.

Help!!!

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi billjw

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Have you tried logging into Yahoo on the web and deleting the message there?

3. billjw

billjw Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. In Yahoo it doesn't even begin to receive the email in question.
    In Outlook Express, the Send/Receive window appears and it begins to download one file, then at halfway done, it locks up and stops with the error message.
    My email address is [removed] which comes into Outlook Express. Now I go to ATT Yahoo and can open up my mail but the file in question is not there. I don't care for ATT Yahoo and would like to fix Outlook Express.

How do I get rid of this file that is locking up my Receive email in Outlook Express?

Help!!!

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

I would suggest removing your e-mail address from your post, otherwise spammers may harvest your e-mail address. :eek:

ATT Yahoo is the mail server I am referring to. If the message is not showing on the web mail server it is on the server somewhere.

If you login to ATT Yahoo, do you have any messages still on the server?
    If so, create a new folder, on the mail server, and move all the messages into that folder.

Empty the Junk/Spam folder on the ATT Yahoo mail server.

Start Outlook Express and move the Server Timeout slider to two minutes.
    Tools > Accounts > (Account Name) > Properties > Advanced tab

Then click Send/Receive in Outlook Express, it should be able to complete since there are no messages to download.
    After the Send/Receive completes, check the messages sizes on the mail server and move the smallest messages back into the Inbox folder.
    Then do a Send/Receive in Outlook Express again. Those messages should download into Outlook Express.

If the first Send/Receive fails, place Outlook Express in Work Offline mode:
    File > Work Offline

Empty the Inbox in Outlook Express, move messages, you want to keep, to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express.
    Then close Outlook Express, wait a minute for the program to completely close, then restart Outlook Express and immediately compact the message store:
    File > Folder > Compact All Messages
    Allow the process to complete without interruption, it is best to not run any other programs during this process.

When the compacting process has completed. Close Outlook Express and restart the computer.
    Start Outlook Express, take it out of Work Offline mode:
    File > Work Offline

Do a Send/Receive.

Let us know if that is successful or not.

5. billjw

billjw Thread Starter

To EAFiedler
    Thank you for your help. What solved the problem was moving the time out slider to two minutes. Calling ATT tech support is a real con job. After listening to the tech him and hah for an hour, then he said he couldn't help me, he transferred me to tech Plus. He made it sound like it was a real big deal; which rattled my cage. They wanted to charge me $69.00.
    Again, thank you for your help.
    Bill

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Thanks for posting back and letting us know your results. :)

I have removed your e-mail address from your previous post.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice