Solved: Outlook Express Address Book

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nemo2000

Can someone tell me please where in the XP filestore I can find a user's address book for Outlook Express, and what the file extension for it is?

Sadly I lost mine when my system crashed :mad: and had to be rebuild, as it was not in the same folder where I had kept - and saved - all the Mailboxes. Is there anyway to relocate the address book as well? I want to try and make sure I dont lose it again!

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
It is called {user name}.wab and is located in the directory

C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Nemo2000

Many thanks - found it!

Now, what about the other part of the question please? Is there any way to get Outlook to recognise this in a new location, in the same way that you can do with the mailbox folder?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
I don't know if there is or not.

I'm not sure why you want to move it though. Just include that folder in the list that your backup program uses to back things up.

Nemo2000

I keep all the files which I want to back-up regularly in a folder structure under My Documents, and that includes the Outlook Express mailboxes. I find it easiest that way, as then I just to go to one top-level folder and copy everything with one click. Of course, I realise now I've been missing the Address Book etc :(

But I realise also now that the other thing which is missing from Outlook Express is my Message Rules. Does anyone know where they are kept please?? as it would be eaiser to retrieve the old file than have to type them all in again.

Many thanks again for the help so far......

Nemo2000

Many thanks. I've looked at the references and they are both very informative, tho' I think i shall let my system settle down before I try it!

I'll mark this thread as solved now.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online