Solved: Outlook Express box appears

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

poochee

I've had XP for about 2 weeks on a new computer. A box started popping up today each time I close OE. The title of the box is OUTLOOK EXPRESS and it looks like it is from MS. The report on the box is: "To free disk space OE can compact messages. This may take a few minutes". I have the option of OK, CANCEL or close. I hesitate to OK this because I have more than enough disk space!! My question is: Should I OK this so I can get rid of the box? How else can I get rid of it? I'm kind of suspicious of this kind of thing so I don't OK unless I know it is safe. I have symantec virus and fire-wall.

Thanks in advance, POOCHEE

There should be a place to tick "dont show me this again". Put a tick in that and then close.

Check your OE settings. Tools->Options->Maintenance. Make sure Compact messages in the background is unchecked. Using that option can lead to losing emails.

Compact folders manually from time to time. Click File->Folder->Choose compact all folders. Do this Offline.

Do not use any of the default folders for long time storage of large amounts of emails (Inbox/Outbox/Sent Items/Deleted Items/Draft). OE is known for emails disappearing particularly from the Inbox. Custom folders should be used.

sekirt

poochee

Thanks for the information.

I am a native of Michigan. Born in Detroit and lived in Benton Harbor and St. Joseph then Chicago before migrating to California.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online