1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express box appears

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by poochee, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

I've had XP for about 2 weeks on a new computer. A box started popping up today each time I close OE. The title of the box is OUTLOOK EXPRESS and it looks like it is from MS. The report on the box is: "To free disk space OE can compact messages. This may take a few minutes". I have the option of OK, CANCEL or close. I hesitate to OK this because I have more than enough disk space!! My question is: Should I OK this so I can get rid of the box? How else can I get rid of it? I'm kind of suspicious of this kind of thing so I don't OK unless I know it is safe. I have symantec virus and fire-wall.

Thanks in advance, POOCHEE

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

There should be a place to tick "dont show me this again". Put a tick in that and then close.

3. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Thanks, there is "don't show me this again".

4. sekirt

sekirt

Check your OE settings. Tools->Options->Maintenance. Make sure Compact messages in the background is unchecked. Using that option can lead to losing emails.

Compact folders manually from time to time. Click File->Folder->Choose compact all folders. Do this Offline.

Do not use any of the default folders for long time storage of large amounts of emails (Inbox/Outbox/Sent Items/Deleted Items/Draft). OE is known for emails disappearing particularly from the Inbox. Custom folders should be used.

sekirt

5. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

I am a native of Michigan. Born in Detroit and lived in Benton Harbor and St. Joseph then Chicago before migrating to California.

6. sekirt

sekirt

I am just outside of Detroit. Good to hear from you. (y)

sekirt

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice