1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express Compress to recycle bin

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by silverado4, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

Why did outlook express do a compress and send most of my folders to the recycle bin with a BAK extension? Can I get them back into outlook express, they have all my e-mails.
    The program has compressed before, but never sent them to the recycle bin.
    Thanks.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi silverado4

With Service Pack 2 changes were made to help prevent people from losing their messages from Outlook Express.
    On every hundredth closing of Outlook Express, it will ask you to Compact your messages.

During Compacting, .bak files are created in the Recycle Bin in case of message loss.

All your messages have been lost from Outlook Express?

Move all the .bak files to a folder on the Desktop, and change their extension to .dbx.

The messages can then be Imported back into Outlook Express.

3. silverado4

I created a folder called "outlook messages", and went to outlook express. I clicked on "import", and could not get to the folder "outlook messages", what am I doing wrong?
    I put a file there as a test, changed it.
    Thanks

I see how this will work, but can't get to the files, I tried a test with one file, I changed from BAK to dbx, but can't get to it.

Thanks.

4. Twinkles

Twinkles

I feel for you! I'm having the same problem. I did empty my recycle bin..... and :( ALL emails ARE GONE in OE. I did find them, all of them in the Store Folder, but just like you, I can't read them or get them back into OE. Anxiously waiting to here from the TechGuy, too!!

5. silverado4

I went to microsoft.com and read how to bring it back there renaming the "sent items.bak" to sent items.dbx, but that didn't work either. HELP.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi silverado4.

Where are the BAK files currently located?
    Did you restore them from the Recycle bin to the OE Message Store folder?

T.

7. silverado4

I still have most of them in the recycle bin, I put some in the store folder in outlook express, as bak. I have several named the same thing with a bak.

8. silverado4

I changed the ones I put in the store folder to dbx, but it didn't work

9. silverado4

Throoper, I see you are online, do you know what I should do?

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

In the Store folder, did you first rename the DBX file that was already there before renaming the BAK to DBX?
    For example, Inbox.dbx would be renamed to Inbox.old, then the Inbox.bak can be renamed to Inbox.dbx.
    If I've read the previous post right, you've lost all messages in all folders. If that's correct, try it with a dbx file for a folder that you created before trying the default folders of Inbox or Sent Items. The defaults are much more likely to have suffered file corruption, although that shouldn't matter if the BAK file is good.
    Also make sure that OE is either closed or open to a different folder than the one you are trying to rename the BAK for.

11. silverado4

I was with you until you said make sure that OE is eith closed or "open to a different folder"
    what folder, the store folder?

12. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Sorry. I meant that if you have OE open, make sure that, if for instance you are doing the Inbox.dbx in the Message Store folder, the folder that is open for view in the OE window is anything but the Inbox. You can't play with a DBX for a folder that is in active use.That way you don't have to keep opening and closing OE.

13. silverado4

I went to the storage folder, "local/application data/identities/[xxxxxxxxxxxxx]/microsoft/outlook express" I found a file with a DBX extention, I changed it to Name.old. I restored a file in the recycle bin. It came in this folder as a BAK. I changed it to dbx. I looked in OE, it didn't come in.

What did I do wrong. Why do I have so many of the same BAK files in restore with the same date? I took the largest one, the others were small in size, all were the same size.

14. silverado4

I looked at the folder of the one I put in that I changed with "properties", and it put a (1).dbx after the name that it was looking file name ending with a (1). This also created a new file in my store folder which gave me the original name.dbx and a new one name (1).dbx. Why does that happen, That's my problem, it isn't reading the right file.

15. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I'm not sure what's wrong, but if the BAK's aren't corrupted (which is very rare) they might be backups of already empty DBX files.
    It could also be something incredibly simple that we aren't recognizing like punctuation or case in the naming.
    Try this.
    In OE, create a new folder named test.
    Click it to open the view. You should see the message "There are no items in this view".
    Close OE and go into the Message Store and find test.dbx.
    Delete test.dbx.
    Pick a BAK file that has a name of a folder that you are sure had messages in OE.
    Rename the BAK to test.dbx.
    Open OE and look in folder test and see if it now contains messages.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice