1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express Crashes

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bsnider, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I had the problem of Outlook Express 5.5 crashing when downloading my email. I used my laptop to download it and my desktop has been working fine, until now. It is doing it again, crashing on the fifth email each time I try. I have a Pent II with 64 Meg of ram. I suspect memory problems since I am having problems running scan disk and defrag. I get banners that pop up when I am on the internet with no message inside, just blank banners. I have a dial up connection and I have noticed the computer trying to dial up the internet when nobody was or had been on the computer for a few hours.

I suspect a cookie or program that is using up memory and trying to send info about me over the internet without my permission and in the process, making my computer run slow and now messing up my email.

Any suggestions?

Bob

2. Sponsor

3. skyman

skyman

I would suggest you run a thorough anitvirus scan first and see what you find.

Then get back to this thread and you will get information
    that should take care of your problems.

skyman

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi bsnider
    Welcome to TSG

Your Pop3uidl.dbx file may be corrupted, or you may need to delete the offending email off the server.

Try this first,
    With Outlook Express closed, do a Find>Files or folders, key in *.dbx.
    Scroll thru the list and locate the Pop3uidl.dbx file and rename it to Pop3uidl.old.

Relaunch Outlook Express and a fresh copy of the Pop3uidl.dbx file will be created. The next time you receive your messages you will probably receive duplicates of the first four. Once the Receive is successful, your mailbox will be cleared if you do not have "Leave a copy on server" enabled.

Let us know if this clears up your Receive problem, if not, you can use Telnet or this third party program where you can view and delete your mail on the server,
    Magic Mail Monitor:
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/2576/magic.html
    You will need an unzipping program to extract Magic Mail Monitor.

You might consider using ZoneAlarm to see what program is trying to connect your computer to the internet or send out information. http://www.zonealarm.com/

5. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick response. I have run a virus check and found no virus, renamed the file to *.old and rebooted Outlook. Before I saw your response, I used my lap top to access my mail, which it did with no problem. This was the fix last time, so I am not sure what I have accomplished with the other fixes. I still have a problem with the empty banners poping up. I have been able to run scan disk by using "alt ctrl delete" on everything except what was needed. Something is still not right and I can't find it.

Bob

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Bob

I would suggest downloading and installing Ad-Aware ver 4.6 you may find references to spyware on your system.

Let us know what you find.

7. skyman

skyman

8. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I ran AD-Aware and found 27 problems. Mostly Gratisware and Alexia. Gratisware had 3 games that I liked, but they are gone now - too high a price for those free games. I checked my scan utility and it's still not running without help. Hopefully the empty banners are gone. I'll report back again in few days.

Bob

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi bsnider

Just checking in to see if your problems have been resolved.

Let us know.

10. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

The problem returned. I have gone through the list of items to correct the problem and nothing actually worked. I finally put my lap top on line and downloaded my email. I did download that other email program, but I haven't got it working yet. The empty banners are gone but I still have problems getting the utility scan program to run without turning off most of the programs that are running in the background.

I am short on time now, but I have not given up and will report back with more details later.

Bob

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

The scan utility you keep referring to, is that Scandisk?

If so, have you tried running Scandisk in DOS?

12. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

Yes the utility is scandisk. I just tried it in DOS and I get an error message that says I need windows. I would like to fix what ever is giving me all these problems. I can run scandisk by doing "alt ctrl delete" on three fourths of the programs that are running.

Here is a list of the programs;

Explorer
    Internat
    Realplay
    Cmmon32
    Ezsmart
    Point32
    Rundll
    Rampage
    Srstray
    Systray
    Dkservice
    Rnaapp
    Winampa
    Cmagent

Would any or too many of these programs be the problem?

Bob

13. skyman

skyman

End task on all but Explore and Systray and try it

dkyman

14. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I did as you suggested and it seems to work well. How many of those programs do I really need? I guess I also need more RAM memory, I have 64 Meg.

Bob

15. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

It's doing it again. My Outlook Express shuts down on the seventh email coming in. It appears to go down on an ezine that probably has a large graphics attachment to it.

Here is the error message;

MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 015f:bff7434b.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000001 CS=015f EIP=bff7434b EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=00d0d020 EBP=00d0d03c
    ECX=00000008 DS=0167 ESI=01a09a20 FS=4b17
    EDX=00d00801 ES=0167 EDI=00000008 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    0f c1 01 40 c2 04 00 83 01 00 6a 01 51 68 59 00
    Stack dump:
    017eda93 00000008 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00d0d098 017ed9e4 01a09b10 00000001 00000000 00d0d0b0 01a09b10 00d0d0b0 00d0d0b0

Bob

[Edited by bsnider on 04-27-2001 at 10:06 AM]

16. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi bsnider

In Outlook Express,
    Tools>Options>Maintenance tab, if present, remove the checkmark for "Compact messages in the background"

With Outlook Express closed, you can delete the Pop3uidl.old file you renamed earlier, and delete the Pop3uidl.dbx file you have now.

Try to receive on your account again, also try to avoid using your laptop to receive the mail until this is straightened out, otherwise we may not be able to determine the cause.

Let us know if this works or not.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/41891