1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express deletes Inbox Messages on exit

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CarolinaBill, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

New incoming messages are lost (apparently deleted) by Outlook Express when the program closes. This is occurring for a resident of a retirement community shared domain that I help to manage. The messages come in to a central network server which is its own ISP, as IMAP mail and are held in a shared server storage drive. They can be accessed by authorized users from any of a half-dozen separate computers through which incoming and outgoing messages can be routed. Each user has a separate userid and password-protected account. This behaviour started very suddenly and has not been experienced by any of our other resident accounts. I watched today as she opened Outlook Express, read a couple new messages, then closed Outlook Express without doing anything. When she re-opened Outlook Express, the messages were no longer there. I have searched as best I could through the Microsoft Knowledge base but have not found anything that addressed this issue. Does anyone have a suggestion of what setting might have been disturbed or what file might be corrupted.

2. Browntop2004

Browntop2004

A bit of a long shot really, but in Outlook Express, go to Tools -> Options ->Maintenance and in there, there is an option to "Purge Deleted Messages When Leaving IMAP Folders.

If this is enabled, it may be what is causing the problem

3. CarolinaBill

That option is indeed checked. I will see what happens if I uncheck it. Normally for most of our users, this option is selected and causes no problem, but it may have somehow corrupted this particular set of files.

4. CarolinaBill

I have marked this "Solved", but it really isn't. I still have a problem but I don't think it has anything to do with Outlook Express so at least this particular thread can be terminated. I believe the issue in this case is one of connectivity with the domain and inability of the computer to retrieve the user's profile settings on logon. This resulted in logging on with local settings which were lost when the user tried to log on again later or tried to log on at a different computer. On working with this, when we were able to logon with the proper user privileges we found all of the user's stored email messages dating back for weeks and obviously Outlook Express had not deleted them. We still have an unresolved issue concerning the lack of retrieval of the user's profile but that is a different question.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice