1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OutLook Express DialUp 2 BroadBand failed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by agpilot, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agpilot

agpilot Thread Starter

Hello everyone:
    My Outlook Express worked fine with Dial Up but NOT since getting cable broadband service.
    Example: When logged in to a busness website and I decide to use their "Contact Us" by e-mail option, it will NOT SEND anything. I have to logout and log into my Netzero Mail account and rewrite and send that way.

I must not have changed various options in my updated-Windows 98SE in the correct way. I've fiddled for hours to fix this.

Any directions as what I should have changed after switching from dial-up to cable broadband?? The cable is working fine for Internet Explorer.
    Thanks. agpilot (sorry if this is basic stuff)

2. dugq

dugq

Can you explain exactly what happenswhen you try to send from clicking on a link?

Does the same thing happen if you open up OE directly and try creating an email in there?

3. Miz

Miz

Did the switchover to cable require switching ISPs? Or, if not, in the information the cable company sent you, did it include instructions on what to put into your email software's POP3 and SMTP fields? Either way, you'll need to tell OE what the email servers are you send and receive email through.

That's accessed in OE>Tools>Accounts, double click on the email account you use, go to the Servers tab. Check the data you have in the POP3 and SMTP fields to make sure it's what the cable provider requires.

4. agpilot

agpilot Thread Starter

To dugg and Miz: Thanks for your notes. I am NOW getting limited this Sunday nite for computer time so I'll post some info and be back tomorrow.

I get the dialup menu when replying to a business email contact link. I may have that figgured out by checking "never dial a commection."

I never saw that menu asking for POP3 and SMPT info untill just now. Geepers, where was it before? I'll have to get that info tomorrow. Yes I changed ISP company 4 the switch. Thanks already.. I keep fiddeling with it.

I normally use a old dialup 3ed computer for the small amount of Email I get as well as downloading misc things. That way my two good machines have a lot lower chance of virus\spyware etc since they are mostly stock mkt trading sys 4 me. ..but I've got to get this email fixed in the 2 good sys.
    Thanks to both of you.. Sorry I got short of time tonite.. Agpilot

5. dugq

dugq

If "never dial a connection" didn't do the trick, go into OE and then tools, accounts, mail, and highlight an account and click properties and then connections and untick "always connect to this account using", click ok and do the same for any other account you have listed under mail

6. agpilot

agpilot Thread Starter

Hello dugg and Miz: It's fixed.. finally. I was trying to do all from the Win98 "Start\Settings\Control Panel and didn't relize the menus on OExpress were there and needed info as well.. My lack of Email usage kept ignoring learning what was needed... but both of you got me into the right area.

How to mark this "solved" now?? Thanks a lot guys.. Agpilot.. Feb21
    Ps.
    I even got the older 3ed computer networked in and on cable(nice) Email.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice