1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Outlook Express Freezing?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by voice, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. voice

voice Thread Starter

When I go into my computer (and before going onto the INTERNET) I go into Outlook express (also to open the INTERNET) but it freezes. I then Control+Alt+Delete to get out of the pro gramme. I then go to Internet explorer. Once it automatically connects to the net I then go out of Internet explorer and go back into Outlook express, which is then fine. However, sometimes, though, I can go straight to Outlooks express (Internet dials up) and everything is OK... but only sometimes. I have Window 98 (I believe 2nd edition). Bought second hand - the three components (tower, screen and keyboard) are all different makes. Apart from occasionally freezing... I have been happy with it and no real major problems. I've only been on the INTERNET just over a month.

THE VOICE... ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED. I have just started learning about the INTERNET/computers. You service is brilliant... keep it up.

2. mobo

mobo

What operating system are you using ?

3. voice

voice Thread Starter

MY OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS 98 2ND EDITION. 64 MB PENTIUM (R) 11 PROCESSOR. I think 500 mega. 3gb hard drive (?)

I hope this is what you requested - thanks.
    Voice.

4. mobo

mobo

Open internet explorer, click on help, then about internet explorer and tell me what version you have there as well.

5. voice

voice Thread Starter

MOBO,

Hopefully I have got the right answer (this time), as I did (hopefully) what you asked.
    Microsoft Internet explorer; 6.0.2800.110615 cipher strength: 128-bit. Then it has ID number. Followed by update versions: (that is SPI numbers) Then it ends with 'this is a customized version of Internet explorer.'

Thanks Mobo, I hope I have done what you asked... Just a matter of interest (and as I said, I am learning as I go along) I have just emptied the temporary files and temporary Internet files (which were full to the top - I don't know if this would have helped, but reading another correspondence in this section who had trouble with freezing when closing down they were told to empty these folders. Also tonight I am going to defrag my machine. Does any of this help?

Again thanks...

Voice.

6. mobo

mobo

You should be able to see Internet explorer in add/remove programs from the control panel. highlight it and select remove. You should be then given the opportunity to repair . Select to do so then reboot when finished.

7. voice

voice Thread Starter

Thank you Mobo,

One problem: I did exactly as you said... I pressed 'add/removed,' but what popped up was 'INTERNET EXPLORER Q828750 UPDATE' Then under that it said 'THIS PROGRAM UNINSTALLS Q828750 AND RESTORES YOUR PREVIOUS CONFIGURATIONS. Then finally says 'DO YOU WANT TO UNINSTALL Q828750. YES NO. I decided to leave it and ask for your professional opinion (how about that for crawling?). Any advice?

Again thank you for your bother.

voice.

8. mobo

mobo

there should be one for internet explorer 6.

9. mobo

mobo

Anyway you could always reinstall those updates from the windows update page..

10. voice

voice Thread Starter

MOBO,

You are brilliant! It dials up from Outlook Express. I must confess something though. In one of my previous messages to you I said that I was going to defrag my computer. When I started up today and went into Outlook Express it did dial up immediately. Nevertheless, I still followed your instruction and that also worked. Again Thanks. As this is working I'll leave the other suggestion of yours for now. I do have one other question, if you don't mind; My Window media player freezes up when first starting it up, but later is usually OK (I have not tried it since defrag)... What you suggested for Internet Explorer, will it work for media player... in fact all those items on that list?

Again thank... If I have problems I know where to come.

Voice.

11. mobo

mobo

You could as well remove media player via add/remove programs and redownload it. But first go to the windows update page for possible updates.

12. voice

voice Thread Starter

MOBO,

Thanks for all your advice... much appreciated. Will do a print out and keep for future reference.

Take care!

THE VOICE.

13. mobo

mobo

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice