1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express Help

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wiry, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiry

wiry Thread Starter

I'm in the process of converting my xp network to a win7 network and have a very complicated outlook express folder setup on one of the machines. Huge folders, some with three thousand emails. So here is my question. Since OE isn't available on Win 7, should I convert to Windows Live or OUtlook 2010. I tried importing the oe on its machine to Outlook 2003 and the folders imported, but the dates on half of the emails changed to the current date which is a real problem. Don't know why this happened. I read somewhere that it's best to convert to windows live mail first and then import into Outlook 2010 but would like some sage advice on this before I screw everything up. I know where the outlook files are stored, address book, etc. so what I need to know is what works best. Anyone out there who could help me? Thanks

Wiry

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I went through this dance a few years ago trying to convert e-mail messages from one program to another. Then I switched to Gmail which works with every computer and every browser.

3. wiry

wiry Thread Starter

I really need to store this email on the computer itself as the folders are confidential and extensive. Any help for the original question?

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Do you need to have the mail in the client (WLM or Outlook) on Win 7 or do you just need access to the information?
    If only access, you could bring a copy of the OE Message Store onto the Win 7 machine and use a DBX reader http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html to access the mail in the DBX files.
    The advantage to that is it won't load up the client on Win 7 and also gives you the option of saving as EML files any mail you need to have the full functions of the client (Reply, Forward, etc.).

For your OE contacts, Export them to a format that can be Imported to the new client (either a WAB or CSV file).

5. wiry

wiry Thread Starter

What you say is terrific. It sounds like the solution. Keeps the email from getting too cluttered.

By a store file, do you mean the File that has all the oe folders? I have made a copy of that, and also I have the wab file for the address book.

We are thinking of using Outlook 10 for the email, but I have a problem with importing the address book. We already have contacts in Outlook, and when I imported them from OE, everything got mixed up together and nothing comes up readily when you create a new email. Instead, you have to go to address book and select it. Do you know an easy setting for this, or would it be better to import the wab file into Windows live mail and leave outlook 10 alone. THanks so much for you help.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

The Message Store is the folder that contains all the DBX files used by OE.
    You can find it's location via Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store folder button.
    To make life simpler on the Win 7 machine, associate DBX files with the Viewer so they will open with a double click instead of having to open the viewer and loading the file.

I'm not sure on the contacts in Outlook (I have very minimal experience with it).
    I'll see what I can find or someone that knows more may post with a solution.

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you're using PGP encryption for your e-mail? You realize that if you don't, your "confidential" e-mail is readable by anyone with access to any of the servers it passes through on its way to your computer. You also need to have your hard drive encrypted to prevent anyone else from ever accessing it should the computer be lost or stolen.

People mistakenly think their computers are the best, most secure place for their data, and they completely miss the path that data travels and don't take an honest, hard look at the security of their computers.

9. wiry

wiry Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. I gave up on Outlook 2010 and went with Windows Mail. All is well, all folders showing. I downloaded the dbx reader just to make sure it's always on hand. Aside from duplicating some entries everything went smoothly. Thanks again. Wiry

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061938