1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express Indicates Attachments on Incoming Email. But there are no Att

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by microphobic, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. microphobic

microphobic Thread Starter

This is a weird one. Just started this week. Outlook Express puts a little paperclip by incoming emails indicating an attachment. But in fact there is no attachment. I checked with those who sent the emails, and indeed they never sent an attachment.
    How do I convey the truth to Outlook Express?:mad:

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi microphobic and welcome to TSG.

If you have AVG antivirus, it's likely the Certification from the E-mail scanner.
    To stop it, open the AVG interface, click Tools>Advanced settings>E-mail scanner and uncheck "Certify E-mail" and OK.

T.

3. microphobic

Dear Throoper,
    Thanks for your message. I don't have AVG antivirus, I have Norton anti-virus.
    Any other suggestions?
    Best wishes.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I can't remember if Norton certifies mail also.
    When you open the message in its own window when reading in plain text, does it show an attachment and then it disappears when switching to HTML view?

5. microphobic

Hi again Throoper:
    Thanks for hanging in with me. I opened messages in plain text and in HTML and neither way showed the attachment. So in fact there is no attachment on these messages, there is just the paper clip in the Inbox.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Okay. That's usually from the mail getting certified by the AV E-mail scanner.
    If there isn't a place in NAV to shut off certification, just turn off the scanner.
    With NAV, you don't need it. The Auto-Protect checks everything and the E-mail scanner is just redundant.
    GO HERE for what MS has to say about it.

Post back if that gets rid of it or not.

7. microphobic

Dear Throoper,
    Thanks so much for your help. It was a temporary glitch. By now Outlook Express is behaving itself and attachments work correctly. Excuses for my delayed reply. Happy New Year.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice