1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express loading slowly

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sdp3501, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

I recently ran Norton Systemworks One Button Checkup and after that Outlook Express is taking about 45 seconds to load. I have had no problems that are like this in the recent past. The problems that were found with the check up were......

Program Integrity....Missing Files...DotNetInstaller.exe cannot access a necessary file....mscoree.dll. Twice.

Virus Definitions....I ran the fix and it started fixing and then stopped like 5 times and told me to run it again. It never completed and I figured that it was because I have and outdated Norton program and didnt buy the new one.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi sdp3501

Is the Inbox in Outlook Express full of messages?

If so, move the messages you want to keep to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express, keep your Inbox empty.

Once you have emptied the Inbox in Outlook Express,
    Click on the Inbox folder:
    File > Folder > Compact

This will compact the Inbox removing the extra *white space* left behind when deleting and moving messages.

Close Outlook Express, then restart Outlook Express to see if it starts faster.

Let us know if this makes a difference or not.

4. sekirt

sekirt

5. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

Oh by the way...oops. i tried to send a large file..245mb. and it got "hung up" i mean it took forever, well didnt finish uploading. Could it be dragging the program down every time I try to open it? Trying to send it in the background or qeued up somewhere? I have closed and deleted all sent, inbox, outbox, drafts, deleted, and saved folders.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you have deleted the Outbox.dbx file the message should no longer be in Outlook Express.

You state the problem started after running Norton Systemworks One Button Checkup.

What exactly is Norton Systemworks One Button Checkup supposed to do?

7. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

just check for missing program files and invalid registry entries, possible security issues like virus definition updates and auto protection of email, freespace on the hard drive, kind of a general fix it utility.

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Does that mean it scans your incoming and outgoing emails?

Is Outlook Express configured to Send/Receive at startup?

9. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

yes for both. I deleted Norton A/V because it was out of date anyway. So it still happens. Of course. LOL

10. 4steve44

4steve44

hotmail server is down. Expected to be up soon. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but it will definately not connect to the server at least for now. ;)

11. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

nope. Not Hotmail problem. Insightbb.com is my server. Its not that i cant send or receive fast because I can. It just takes 30 seconds or more to load and I have no other problems with any other program. Just weird.

12. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

mail server that is.

13. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Close all windows.
    Open Outlook Express
    File > Work Offline
    Click on the Local Folders folder
    File > Folder > Compact All Folders
    Walk away from the computer until this process is complete.
    Never start this process if the possibility of a power outage is imminent such as a thunderstorm in progress.

After the compaction process has finished, close Outlook Express then restart Outlook Express to see if it loads faster.

If Outlook Express does not load faster.
    Try creating a new Identity in Outlook Express,
    File > Identities > Add New Identity
    Name the Identity then switch over to the new Identity when asked.

Recreate your email account in the new Identity when the Internet Connection Wizard appears.

If Outlook Express also asks to Import your messages, cancel out of that for now.

File > Identities > Manage Identities
    Place a check mark in: Use this Identity when starting a program
    and select the new Identity in the drop down box.

Close and restart Outlook Express to see if it loads faster using the new Identity.

Let us know what happens.

14. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

ok so now i have tried to delete all identities and some had passwords and I got all confused as to what password went with what and changed a couple. Now totally lost and just want to remove outlook express and reinstall fresh. I would also like to keep my "stuff" if possible. Im worried that I have screwed up my mail with my server changing passwords and deleting identities.

15. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Sorry, I don't recall where I asked you to delete any Identities. :confused:

Did you try creating a new Identity?

16. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/374994