1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Outlook Express Messages Open Minimized

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by joeburns, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeburns

joeburns Thread Starter

I've been using Outlook Express 6.0 since it came out. Suddenly all my messages have started opening "minimized" on the taskbar. This includes new mail, old mail, deleted items - anything I try to open. Same thing happens when I "create mail". The message shows up minimized (on the taskbar) where I can then "maximize" it and write my letter.

Also the "restore" option doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to get things back to normal would be appreciated. It's "workable" as is, but the extra step is frustrating. :(

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Just a shot in the dark. Open a mail window, maximise it. Now keep Ctrl key pressed and click on Close. Open a new mail window and it should open maximised. This works in IE. Should also work in OE.

3. joeburns

joeburns Thread Starter

No luck that way. Didn't make any difference.

Thanks anyway.

Joe

4. MT Redux

MT Redux

Just doing a cursory look-through, I didn't see anything that quite fit your problem on the below site, but since I did find an answer to my weird displaced maximized window question there recently, maybe you might dig through it a little more extensively to see if you find anything helpful.

http://www.okinfoweb.com/moe/bugs/index.htm

Best of luck.

5. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I think the trick on resizing the just opened window is you have to drag it to the size you want. Then hold the shift key as you click on the "X" to close it.

6. joeburns

joeburns Thread Starter

Hey this forum is great! Thanks for the replies. I've tried using the MS Forum and apparently nobody bothers reading or replying there.

MT,
    I looked all thru OKINFOWEB. Great site with lots of good info. Unfortunately I couldn't find an answer to my problem.

Bassetman,
    Maybe I haven't explained this well - or used the correct terminology.

When I open a message it opens minimized. By that I mean it's shown as a "task" button on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The message is not up where I can read it, or drag it to another size.

At this point I can right click, the "task" on the taskbar and select "maximize" to bring the message up. (the "restore" option is greyed out)

When the letter maximizes there is no way to resize it unless I could use the "restore" button at the top right of the message - which is also greyed out.

End result is I only have 2 choices - minimized or maximized. More important than that is getting the message to open up where I can read it (no matter the size) rather than minimized as a button on the taskbar.

Thanks once again for the help and ideas.

Joe

7. bassetman

What Candy said! ^^^^^

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Lol, BM, I saw that both things I said, had been tried and didn't work, thus I removed my suggestion, sorry about that, wasn't fast enough I guess :)

Since you say this just happened, I'm wondering about a scanreg /restore????? Anyone else have an idea about that?

9. joeburns

joeburns Thread Starter

OOPS - Gotta make a correcton here. Sorry about the confusion. This problem is actually on my uncle's machine and I had to call him to verify what I wrote last. Unfortunately I sent it first (n)

The correction is - When the message is maximized, up where I can read it, the restore button is not greyed out. However if I do click on the restore button the message gets minimized back to the taskbar - rather than "restoring" to some intermediate size.

Of course this doesn't change my original problem at all.

10. ~Candy~

Ok, I just tried this....I opened an email, and it was small, not completely minimized, but I expanded it, then X'd it while holding the shift key down. The next email was opened maximized. It is important he hold the shift key down while X'ing it closed.

11. bassetman

I believe that "dragging" it to size is an important step too.

12. ~Candy~

No, I didn't drag at all, just maximized it, X'd it while holding the shift key.......and the very next email opened maximized, I minimized it, closed it while holding the shift key down, and next email opened smaller ;)

13. joeburns

joeburns Thread Starter

OK, I got it. Thanks to you all. We were all in the ballpark but couldn't quite get it together.

The problem was that a message had apparently been dragged down to about a one pixel size - then closed. Of course that means from then on messages were still one pixel in size when opened - unless I maximized them. They were there all along - I just couldn't see them.

Solution -

1 - Open a message (on the taskbar)

2 - right click the task button, in the pop up menu click on "size."

3 - Use the keyboard arrows to make the message big enough to see. I also had to use "move" in the same way to get it back on my screen.

4 - From there I could drag the window out like normal, close it, and now messages open full size.

Thanks for the help. Should have been an easy fix. I won't forget it next time!

14. ~Candy~

Great! Thanks for letting us know.

15. bassetman

Good job! :cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice