1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} Outlook Express not Default Email

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by chuckmol, Sep 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuckmol

chuckmol Thread Starter

I have been using Monster.Com and lately when I try to send an email to someone the computer tells me it cannot locate microsoft express. I know it is loaded as I am able to check my emails and it is in my stall/uninstall file. Someone said I have to fix my registry??? Can anyone help. Think I created this problem by loading then unloading Microsoft Office 97.

Thank You

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Chuck:

Before you do anything else, would you mind reading this article, and then telling us which program it is you want to use?

Many people confuse Outlook and Outlook Express. I often help to troubleshoot only to find out they're looking for Outlook, and not OE, or vice-versa.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/8/24.ASP

Thanks.

3. ClassyLinks

ClassyLinks

Also, please tell us what program is set up as the Email default for Internet explorer.

Check Tools-->Internet Options-->Programs and indicate what is next to Email.

Like Dreamboat, one of the things I often find is that someone uses a program like Pegasus, or Outlook as their actual mail program, but the IE is set to open OExpress instead. This can get very confusing for the users.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Chuck sent me the following private message:

Thank you so much for the article regarding Outlook and Outlook Express. I have Outlook express currently installed on my computer and I can open it and receive email messages. I only have a problem when I try to email someone from a web site such as monster.com. I receive a message that says: Windows cannot find Outlook.exe. this program is needed for opening files of type URL. Mail to protocol. Location of Outlook Exp= C:\

Hope this helps. Thanks Again. Chuck

I'm sure he didn't mean to have it be "private" private, so I'll post it here.

Funny thing is, my answer would be the same as Classy Links' answer.

5. ClassyLinks

ClassyLinks

Yup...sounds like IE is looking for Outlook and Chuck wants to use Outlook Express.

It's an easy change Chuck.

In IE choose Tools--> Internet Options--> Programs and use the drop down menu next to email to choose Outlook Express.

If Outlook Express isn't in the list, Open up Outlook Express, choose Tools-->Options and make sure on the "General" tab you have specified "This application is the default mail handler".

HTH

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Chuck has indicated to Classy that the problem is solved, and I will mark it thusly!

Thanks for all your help, Classy! I saw all the posts you've made! It's terrific!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/52864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice