1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express not downloading mails from server

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by parker1158, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parker1158

parker1158 Thread Starter

Hi,

I run OE6 on XP and for the last couple of days OE has not been downloading mails. I run three accounts from OE6 and usually these run without problem. If I click on send receive mail the box appears to show it is checking the accounts and laothigh I do not get any error messages, no mails are downloaded.

However, I know there are messages waiting (I checked this via IE) but nothing is downloaded.

Hope this makes sense

Martyn

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

No error messages and no new mail....hmmm puzzler indeed. Are these all Hotmail, or Gmail or Yahoo or local ISP accounts? In other words do these accounts have something else in common besides being downloaded (formerly) into OE6?

3. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

what antivirus or firewalls r u using? sometime's u can adjust those settings & will affect OE; i use avast & off n on the email scanner will block my emails, i shut if off & back 2 normal.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

do you access all three accounts with send/receive?

are the server address correct on all three accounts?

which of the three is the default account?

were you able to send/receive from all three accounts and receive on all three?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you check settings for the e-mail accounts by logging into the provider's sites?

6. parker1158

Thank you for your responses. My replies to each of you

fairnooks - accounts are ISP accounts but with different providers

wtxcowboy - I use McAfee

bearone2 - Yes I access all accounts with send/receive, Yes server address is correct on all three accounts, info @pyro-team.com is default, Yes I was able to send/receive from all three accounts previously. (Note I can stil lsend from all three accounts but nothing is receiving)

DoubleHelix - yes I checked settings for these accounts

All any help you can give would be really appreciated - I'll try turning off McAfee and back on again

Martyn

7. parker1158

Tried enabling and disablling McAfee but unfortunately still not getting mails

8. caraewilton

caraewilton

sending is not related to recieving.

sending uses a smtp

Normally for recieving you use pop3

So even though you can send, this does not mean you should be able to recieve.

Try something like popmail (google it and download). It is small and copies only the text of your mail onto your computer leaving the whole mail on the server. Delete any junk that is there. Then run outlook again.

Sounds silly but I have had one big or malicious mail blocking everything else before. popmail normally does not pick up the issues outlook may, as it only downloads the text, leaving the rest on the server.

9. caraewilton

caraewilton

looked on my other PC. Note that I now use popman
    www.ch-software.de/popman/

works really well so give it a try

What is PopMan?
    PopMan is a POP3 manager. It can be used to list all e-mails received on your incoming mail server (POP3 server), without having to load these mails completely. Unwanted e-mails can be deleted directly from the server.

Point is, it will allow you to clean up what is there and then you can try outlook again.

10. parker1158

POPMAN worked - brilliant thank you

11. caraewilton

caraewilton

glad it did the job. Maybe keep it on your computer. I have found it to be the best spam killer. It sits at the bottom listing my emails. I open it up every now and then, delete any junk then open up my email client and download the mail I want.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice